Blown engine and I need a little help

freedomfly

Last week on my way home from work the engine (4cyl) in my Jeep ('99) decided to crap the bed. It threw a rod and busted a hole the size of a half dollar in my block. So that being said I decided today to replace the engine, because let's face it, I just can't let myself see her go. I have been debating on what to do as far as the engine goes. I think that I am just going to go ahead and buy a crate engine. I chose that because I need something fuel efficient, relatively cheap, kind of easy to fix, and most importantly reliable. Now for the part that I need help with.

1.) Where would be the best place to buy a new engine that is in favor of my wallet? (up to $1000 if at all possible)
2.) What, if anything, can I use off of my old engine that will save me some money?
3.) What are some recommended things to replace/ look at while the engine is pulled? (frame? suspension? steering? brakes? anything?)
4.) Is there anything that I should order ahead of time that will almost certainly need replaced? (gaskets or anything of that nature)
5.) Is this at all possible for under $2000?

I will be doing it myself. (well partially) I have never done anything that is this serious to my Jeep. I do know my way around the engine but I am no motorhead. It would be nice if I could have everything said and done by the end of this month. I am sure it can be done in that amount of time but I will be teaching myself along the way and I am sure that I will mess something up.

I apologize for this post being so long but I have very little knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing and this is the first place that I turned to. Thank you for reading and I hope someone can shed a little light on my problem.

I bought mine for my 99 at autozone for like $1200 + core, it came with a gasket kit and new oil pump (I did buy a new oil pick up tube but could have reused the old one)
I reused everything from my old engine except the water pump and thermostat. I did buy fresh oil, oil filter, new plugs, wires,cap and rotor

I did my swap myself and the whole job with a new clutch cost me about $1600 give or take

Sent from my DROID 2 Global

Edit
I just looked on autozone site, the price went up to 1500 on the engine but you should still be able to do the job yourself for under $2000

Last edited:

If a bolt won't give on you, spray some penetration fluid on it, wouldnt want to fix broken bolts, atleast there a pain in the rear for me

Spring for new motor mounts. Take stock in one gallon zip lock bags and black markers. Buy a good digital camera. Take a picture, remove it, bag and tag it. Then list it in order on a pad of paper, so you can put it back on in reverse order.

Sent from my PG86100 using Jeepz

Back