Why roll up when you can roll down?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I see quite a few TJs around here with the rear window rolled up, and hanging from the elastic loops at the top of the window. These usually get stretched out and obscure half the rear view. I was wondering why people do this instead of just rolling the window down (leaving it hooked to the window bar).

It made sense on my old CJ to do it that way (no bar at the bottom of the window), but with the new window bar I don't get it. I think they should just leave off those elastic window bands these days.

2012-07-29_10-12-13_530-wrangler-rear-window.jpg

2012-07-29_10-12-50_218-wrangler-rear-window.jpg

Last edited:

I could never roll mine down.That would require my zippers to move all the way around.Think it is time for new top..lol

I just unzip mine and let it it be... my replacement top didn't have any elastic bands at the top

photobucket251711347068890326-1.jpg

Sent from my DROID 2 Global

Last edited:

Bestop replacement tops and factory YJ tops will not allow for a simple roll down like on a TJ. If you were to roll it down, you would have to remove the tailgate bar, remove the two side zippers, then remove the top zipper that goes from one side to another then re-attach the tail gate bar. way easier to just roll it up.

I'd rather just take it out. When it was new I'd roll it up and put it in the little elastic loops but being 6'6" it partially obstructed my view even before they stretched out. My new bestop came with them but I've not used them but I'll leave them there for the next owner.

jps4jeep said:
Bestop replacement tops and factory YJ tops will not allow for a simple roll down like on a TJ. If you were to roll it down, you would have to remove the tailgate bar, remove the two side zippers, then remove the top zipper that goes from one side to another then re-attach the tail gate bar. way easier to just roll it up.

You just sold me on not buying a best top. If its that cumbersome to unzip it... Whew

My 06 doesnt have any straps to roll it up in. And for those having problems with the zippers and your fingers, I went to harbor freight and bought the small mechanics hook and pick set ( 4 Piece Pick and Hook Set ) dulled the curved hook and use it to grab any of the windo zippers sinc my fingers are too huge to fit under the storm flaps. It makes a perfect handle. Just make sure you dull it down or you WILL need a new top before you know it!
(not an endorsement of HF, I'm just retired and cheap!)

On the window topic, has anyone found a treatment to dehaze these plastic windows? It isnt oxidation, it's burnishing and scratches... I'm not to the point of needing to replace mine but dont want to get there either!

On the window topic, has anyone found a treatment to dehaze these plastic windows? It isnt oxidation, it's burnishing and scratches... I'm not to the point of needing to replace mine but dont want to get there either!

I like RainX Xtreme clean for normal scratches:
Rain-X 5080217 X-treme Clean Glass Cleaner - 12 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

For more serious scratches I've had good success with Mother's plastic polish along with one of their power balls (hooks into a drill)
Mothers 06208 Plastic Polish - 8 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive
and
Mothers 05140 PowerBall Polishing Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

You just sold me on not buying a best top. If its that cumbersome to unzip it... Whew

Thats why you simply roll it up, take only second.
Honestly, I got over 10 years out of my first bestop top and I beat the **** out of it, rubbing against trees off road, folding down and loading crap on top. The bestop's longevity is far better than the stock YJ top. it has it's quirkyness, but easy to deal with.

Honestly, I got over 10 years out of my first bestop top and I beat the **** out of it, rubbing against trees off road, folding down and loading crap on top. The bestop's longevity is far better than the stock YJ top. it has it's quirkyness, but easy to deal with.

I bought the Bestop replace-a-top for my TJ and it's no where near as good as the factory top - I wish I had sprung for the sailcloth top. The windows on the base replace-a-top are much thinner and will never lay flat despite how tight they are stretched, while the thicker windows work fine.

8201d1303238184-wavy-windows-forumrunner_20110419_143634.png

8202d1303238212-wavy-windows-forumrunner_20110419_143655.png

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/34112-wavy-windows.html

I bought the pavement ends top and it's the exact same way, Terry.
Plus it's like 4 Summer seasons old and all the stitching is coming out.
I'm getting the Sailcloth replace-a-top for next year.

How long did you guys have your originals before they needed replaced. I got my LJ in '06 and my only complaints are the stains on top that I have trouble reaching to clean and the back corner toward the tailgate where you pull loose to zip the back window doesn't want to stay tucked under the drip rail.

My original top was about 9 yrs old when I replaced it. A lot of the stitching had riped out and bust loose. I probably could have had it repaired but I didn't think it was worth it. The windows were pretty scratched up so I just replaced it.

I replaced my 2005 top after just 4 years, mainly because I rolled my windows up and ended up scratching them. It still held out rain fine, but the windows were so scratched and hazed that I just gave up and bought new.

I still run my original top in the summer, when I leave the windows out. I run my new top in the winter when I want the windows clear.

Last edited:
Mine was about 8.5 years old when I replaced it. The stitching was coming apart and I could see daylight from inside. The windows were in pretty good shape because I had them out of the jeep most of each summer and kept in a cloth pouch separated from each other so no scratching. I probably could have gotten another year out of the top but I was ready and had some cash on hand.

My windows are just starting to lightly haze after over 6 years of 24/7 outdoor life. the top itself is like new. When the windows are out, they are wrapped up in super thick bath towels.

Back