Oil pressure too high !!!

BigpapaDean

Hey guys, I got a hell of a good question for all of you. I have a 99 wrangler 4litre 6 cyl. Sahara edition jeep. Pics on my profile. I noticed the oil pressure this week just sky rocketing all the way up. So, we test the pressure it's double what it should be. We change the oil pump, oil change.

Start the jeep up and still have pressure going up again. It settles at idle but as soon as I give it gas it goes up again instantly. And not just a little, if I start going faster it will go all the way to the end.

What in gods name is going on!!??!?!
I hope it's not something internal in the engine.

It's the only pump that we found from Chrysler. Its the one that belongs to my yr and model. But again, that valve is part of the pump so it shouldn't be doing that like my old pump was doing, right?

I agree, it shouldn't be doing that. But, the only thing that controls OP is the relief valve. 13-75psi is the range. The pump could have been sitting on the shelf for awhile.

The pressure was checked with a mechanical gauge so it can't be a defective internal gauge. And again the sending unit is new from Chrysler. So eliminating those 2 issues for now, what else can it possibly be? And we did an oil change at the same time ( castrol syntech ) as usual. So new oil pump, new oil filter and new synthetic oil.......what in the world could be causing this????

I had a toyota truck years ago that had worn out timing guides. The timing chain eventually wore a hole in the timing cover at a water jacket. When it did water mixed with the oil and the oil pressure went high due to the thick milky mixture. I'm guessing your oil didn't look milky when you changed it?

No not at all. The oil was fine and I've been using synthetic for at least 6 urs now and never had any inconstancies. But it's a good guess that I didn't think about.

No. That's impossible. This problem began last week and if that was the case it would of stopped once we made the oil pump change and oil and filter change. What are the odds of us using the wrong filter twice and the first one was on like 6months ago? But with no problem at all. I've been using the same synthetic oil and filter for many yrs now and never had or ever seen a situation like the one I have now.

There have been cases of filters breaking down and clogging oil galleries but I don't believe that is the case here. After rereading your original post I kind of hate to condemn the pump but all logics point to the relief valve.

Back