Need help with Lighting

K-Phat

Hey guys need a little help here. I just purched a couple of Day lighters and windsheild brackets to put on my TJ. The thing is I'm not sure how I should run/hide the wires from the back of the lights. Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. [addsig]

Hey there welcome to the board! This is the place to get the answers you need. I was all set to mount mine to the windshield brackets and then was talked out of it due to the glare off of the hood. Everyone here told me that the lights on would illumanate (sp ya I know) every bug, drop of water, dot of mud, ect... on the windshield. I still like the looks of the windshield mounts but opted to mount on the front bumper. Mounting the lights at the hing you are going to pretty much have to drill the body at some point. I am just not sure as to what the best move will be here. Some one will be along to help you with more direct info just hang on. Tug [addsig]

Thanks for the reply Tug. I've heard about the glare factor too, but I was told it is not as bad with the lights on the windsheild as it is with an overhead light bar. Thought I might end up using the drill........[addsig]

Check with the local body shop and may be you can get a set of good quality rubber gromets to run them stainless wire chases through. Post how it goes, still may end up moving mine up and getting a bigger set for the bumper. Good luck Tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Apr 01, 2003 - 02:54 PM[addsig]

Can you run the wire in under the windshield frame seal?[addsig]

When I helped my fiend wire up his lights on his windshield brackets. We ran them under the windsheild wipers. It seemed to work pretty well. Just be sure the wires are not in the way of the mechanisims.[addsig]

Windshield hinge lights is the first thing I did to my YJ, cheap and easy... Contrary to what some people say they dont produce much glare at all. The only thing I don't like is I can't use them more! I have 100 Watters and they light up the night like nobodys buisness. I did have to drill a hole behind the door to let the wires go to the lights but it doesn't present a big problem. I did have to use a little extra piece (the black part) to hold it in place.
image-missing.png
It is a piece of .040 aluminum with a screw through it. This keeps the wire in place so it won't get pinched in the door. The black sleave underneath that is there because the chrome sleave wasn't long enough, so I used a piece of wire sleaving we use for neon at work. The rest of the wires are fed under the dash to a switch... ( the one on the left)
image-missing.png
then there are a bunch of holes in your firewall to go to the battery if thats how you are going to hook it up. Some people say not to go to the battery but it works fine for me. Good luck and I hope it comes out as well as mine did!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

k-phat, i did mount a set of lights on the windshield bracket or hinges is what they are. i did run the wire under the windshield frame rubber. only had to run one wire across and connected to the other light outside the gasket. worked fine for me.

tug, i mounted two sets . as i said above on the windshield bracket, but i made my own mounts . used a pieace of stainless and cut them the same shape and angle of the windshield bracket. painted them black with some epoxcey (help tug ) . i used the stainless because that is what i had on hand. i have not had any problems with glare, from the hood or windshield. the ole yj is black but still would do it again. also have a set mounted on the front bumper. those i mounted as far apart as i could and still mount to metal. not so sure i get the effect as if they were closer together. maybe someone else can shed light on this. (was that a pun ? )

if there is one thing i have learned from my yj is that if i dont like it i can go back and change it with out to much hassle . dosent mean i like to do it twice , just i try it one way let it settle and if i dont like it i can change it . just my opinion......odax :-D [addsig]

hey joopin, does the door close all the way with the flex you have your wires in? and please what size is the flex. thaks .odax :-? [addsig]

The door shuts like the wires aren't even there. I have full steel doors and if you look at your door when it's closed there is actually a gap between the body and the doors. This is what I used to run the wires, but you do need something to keep them in place! Or they will get crushed. I just used the flex they gave me with the lights, they are around 1/2 inch... I wan't some lights on my bumper too, but I wan't a nice bumper to put them on! Not this stock crappy bumper! :-D [addsig]

yea, am planning a front bumper change. waiting on the winch. cant decide how to go about building it thou. have seen so many different bumpers it makes my head spin..odax :cool: [addsig]

Hey Joopin thanks for the great info....pictures and all gotta love that. You can even close the doors which is sweet because I have full steel too. Thanks again and this message board strait rules........[addsig]

I ran my wires right through the windshield channel seal. It seemed to work great.[addsig]

Back