Steering issue with 96 limited grand cherokee

jstudt

I am the proud new owner of a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, all-time 4wd, v8, approx. 158k miles. While driving down the road going straight the steering wheel is turned to the right almost 45 degrees, my logic tells me an alignment will fix that just wondering if you guys had an other suggestions. Also the sun roof apparently does not work either, wont open or close (completely). it is 99.2% closed, but the back side of the glass is no level with the roof like the front or like it should be. It does not leak, but i do get an annoying wind sound because of it. Any suggestions for that. And last but not least, the drivers door seems to drop when opening, logic tells me it either the hinge itself or just the hinge pins, neither of which a very hard fix, I am thinking of just replacing the hinges all together. Any suggestions for that.

I thank you all in advance for your time and help.

Jeremy

As for your steering. You need to check for any kind of wear on all of TRE's. Grab ahold of them to see if there is any up and down play, then unlock the steering and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. Pay close attention to what the TRE's are doing. You can tell if there loose by watching the pitman arm, tie rod and drag link move before they engage other components. Sorry its hard to describe. Example, if the pitman arm moves an 1/8" before the drag link moves then that TRE at the pitman arm is bad.

Now for the door. Take a look at the pin, it pivots on bushings that are pressed in the hinge itself. The bushings wear out and the pin can start to wear a groove in the hinge body. Depending on how severe the wear is, it will be easier to just replace the pins and bushings.

Thanks Catoctin, after looking closer it is the the lower hinge pin that is shot and allowing the movement, should be easy enough to fix. The next issue is now I have found the rear hatch doesn't want to open, i have read a few posts that said if you press while pulling the hatch release it should pop open but that didn't work, any suggestions on how to get that open ? Also i am getting the all to common "coolant sensor bad" message on my vic. any quick/easy solutions for that ?

Did you post this in the cherokee section as well?
Any drift or wobbling issues?
If the dry steering test mentioned above does not show issues there is an adjustment to correct the steering wheel.here is a link. Link loosen the drag link sleeve then rotate the sleeve only until the steering wheel is centered. Retighten the bolts on the drag link.

http://bleepinjeep.com/category/orv/holly-how-tos/steering/

Last edited:

Honestly, I have not checked into the steering just yet, currently I have my attention on the brakes (they are pulsing slightly from the pedal) plus its usually one of the first things i do whenever i buy any used vehicle.

JPNinPA = I thank you for your input, however the link you provided did not work ???, when i do get the chance i am gonna look at the drag link, after reading many other posts it seems to be fairly easy to adjust, thanks for the idea.

my biggest priority right now is fixing the hinge pin on my drivers door (it drops about an inch when opened) and also i need to figure out how to get my back hatch open without ruining the interior,

Any help and or suggestions would be much appreciated as I am still a new jeep owner and am just getting into all of this fun.

Jeremy

oh ps what exactly cause that moaning noise that sounds like its coming from the back axle ? is that an easy fix or no ?

thanks again !

Back