replaced battery,engine wont turn over

batman2283

I own a 95 wrangler, 4.0 manual. I noticed my engine turning over more slowly over last several days. Today it wouldn't start. I jumped it and it started fine. I replaced the battery, making sure to clean the terminals thoroughly with a brush. I have good connections all around but now it wont even try to turn over. When I turn the ignition all cabin lights, stereo, etc turn on but there is no response in the engine compartment. I tried to jump it and get no response either. What's my next step? If all connections seem intact between the battery, alternator, starter then what's likely the problem? Thanks for the help

Most likely it's the starter. Most parts stores will test it for free to confirm that's the problem.

Not necessarily. Is there any sound when you turn the key?
Click or a click,click click,click?
Is the battery the correct size?
Did you clean the other sides of the battery wiring? Ground to the engine, and chassis? How about at the alternator and starter? Are all the wires reconnected?

I cleaned all connections including those to the battery, chassis, engine and starter/ starter solenoid. I get no clicking sound at the solenoid or anywhere else in the engine compartment. Just seems odd that it would start with a jump on the old battery and not on the new battery even with a jump. Could it be a fuse issue? Could I have fried the solenoid when I replaced the battery?

Since its been slowing gradually as you said. And replacing the battery didn't help. I'd test the starter. You could also have someone turn the key and check for 12 volts at the starter.

Forgot to answer that the battery was sized by the auto parts store for my make, model, and engine size and appears to be the same as the previous battery

The solenoid is part of the starter. So if it's bad you'll replace it as a unit. Disconnect the small wires going to the starter and with the key turned all the way to the start position you should have around 12 volts. If it doesn't then there's a problem in line from the key to the starter. Might be a fuse as you said.

Got it. My old cars starter and starter solenoid were separate units. Ill check all my fuses and test the voltage at the starter. Is it common for a starter to crap out upon replacing the battery? I appreciate you taking the time to help by the way

No problem. No it's not common but a starter that is on its way out can seem like a week battery. Keep us posted.

yeah, not real common, but it does happen. Ive had it happen.

Is there a fusible link on that system? I've seen those get fried by crossing up jumper cables..

As and oreilly's check your battery,starter and alternator for free.
But first check the voltage at the relay. Sometimes the ign switch goes.

did 95 have that stupid button in the battery tray???
The button actually is a battery temp sensor and aids in controlling charging voltage from the alternator based on temp. It's actually pretty smart. Yes a 1995 yj has a battery temp sensor.

Back