Yj front diff

JaShar30

Does anyone know if once a front diff has been modded to be a twist to lock can it be reverted back to the old vac set up?

By twist and lock do you mean a cable actuated disconnect like the Posilok?

Sure, but it requires you picking up a used vacuum disconnect for the axle housing, then reattaching the vacuum lines.

If it were me, I'd install the disconnect upside down so the shift fork holds the shift collar in the engaged position, and forget about it.

Can you explain a lil more in detail what you mean by that. Or explain what i would do exactly

Remove the front disconnect from the axle, slide the shift collar to the engaged position, and reinstall the disconnect upside down. The shift fork will now hold the axleshaft in the locked position.

So i need to open up the diff then to do all this correct.

Sure, but it requires you picking up a used vacuum disconnect for the axle housing, then reattaching the vacuum lines.

If it were me, I'd install the disconnect upside down so the shift fork holds the shift collar in the engaged position, and forget about it.

This would make it 4 wheel drive all the time right? If so wont it wear out the gears and such from driving on dry hard services all the time?

I'm not sure I'm correct thats why I was asking. But I remember hearing something about driving in 4 wheel drive on a dry hard surface being bad for the vehicle. I could be wrong.

Any way why don't you like the posiloc? I just installed it on my YJ and its awesome. Granted my vacuume lines were cut but I can't tell you how many times I had to swim into a puddle to reconnect the vacuume line.

I do like the idea but the one in my jeep was already installed when i bought the jeep, i did not check the posilok when it was bought as i was not there. My brother picked it up for me and he dod not check it, then he hauled it to my fathers yard where i rebuilt the body and interior over. Yesterday i took it out for a quick spin to make sure it was all working... But the front is not locking in. I was planning on going wheeling today, if all was good... I do not know enough about this setup to be able to check what is wrong with it. So i was thinking that the vac might work if i uninstalled the posi lock and reinstalled the vac for time being... It would not really be locked in 4x4 all the time just that the front axle would be locked in make highway driving slight undesirable

Locking the front axleshafts together does not make it 4wd, it simply makes for a 1-piece axleshaft similar to what's found in newer Jeeps. It will not be noticeable in 2wd with a stock open front differential. It will cause the front driveshaft to turn when in 2wd but there is no ill side-effect if the driveshaft is properly balanced.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Remove the front disconnect from the axle, slide the shift collar to the engaged position, and reinstall the disconnect upside down. The shift fork will now hold the axleshaft in the locked position.

How do i do this i am not that familiar with doing this... I am interested in learning and i am very capable just do not have that knowledge, for this set up...

Back