Death Wobble on 2003 Wrangler

03sahara

I have an 03 Sahara with 87k on it. I am only getting the DW at 55 mph. I have stock tires but did a 1.75" spacer lift. I had it aligned at tire kingdom was working fine for about 3 weeks. I have replaced all the bushings and was told it was the track bar bushing so I went to a 1/2. Replaced the steering damper checked the tire pressure and wear and all seems fine. I'm kinda at a loss now on where to go and would greatly appreciate any guidance or advise. Thanks

Josh

was told it was the track bar bushing so I went to a 1/2.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "went to a 1/2".
Normally death wobble is caused by worn suspension components, so replacing bushings and torquing everything down to spec is a good start. I'd start by laying in front of the Jeep while someone inside slowly moves the steering wheel back and forth. You're looking for the slightest amount of slop. It could be the other end of the trackbar giving you problems this time.

Last edited:
2X look at track bar both ends, all tierod ends and the control arm bushings.
Also be sure your tires are road balanced and check your axel u-joints. Either of these or alignment is starting the oscillation.

When turning the steering wheel back and forth while inspecting the front end, it's often best to bump the steering off of full-lock. Pay special attention to each end of the track bar.

Which bushings were replaced?

Old tires sometimes trigger the DW. They are not the cause but will start the movement in your steering. If you can get them balanced 0/0, that helps a lot. I have had different tire shops do my balancing and one shop does it right the other doesn't.

the speed its starting at tells you it is probably a balance issue. does it go away once you get past 63ish? have someone decent rebalance your tires

That is not a fix. With a proper system you do not need a steering stabilizer.

I have an 03 Sahara with 87k on it. I am only getting the DW at 55 mph. I have stock tires but did a 1.75" spacer lift. I had it aligned at tire kingdom was working fine for about 3 weeks. I have replaced all the bushings and was told it was the track bar bushing so I went to a 1/2. Replaced the steering damper checked the tire pressure and wear and all seems fine. I'm kinda at a loss now on where to go and would greatly appreciate any guidance or advise. Thanks

Josh

Good luck, I had an 07 Sarah Wrangler 4x4 replaced the BF tires with Nittos after a total new front end dampner etc etc that Jeep covered all the cost. Balanced aligned etc etc. still would wobble from 30-45 mph but not to extent of having to get on brakes and stop before it would quit. Unsafe as hell. Finally sold it to get rid of the death wobble. Had 56,00 miles Junk jeep. Jeep was terrible at trying to fix it.

Back