Adding a receiver hitch.

badazjeep

I need some advice from the pros. My 01' Jeep Wrangler has a custom tube bumper, and I'm trying to figure out how to add a hitch receiver. It's looking like I may have to replace the bumper all together, but I'd hate to do that. I'm attaching an image of the bumper, you'll quickly see my problem.

photo.JPG

The lower tube sits about 5 1/2 inches below the stock bumper location (to give room for the oversized spare).

I'm looking for the most affordable option.

If your not looking to tow with it and just want the ability to carry a rack or have a recovery point, you could purchase a 2" reciever tube from a rural king/ tractor supply and build a mount/modify and weld it between the tubes. That would be cheapest and easiest.

Sent from my Devour using Jeepz

Since you have an oversized spare, it may just be time to buy a tire carrier with a built in hitch.

I went over to a local 4wheel parts store, and we tried fitting several of these hitch receivers...none would clear the bumper. After considering my options, I just ended up buying a new SmittyBuilt Rock Crawler bumper with built-in receiver.

So I ended up buying a Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler bumper with built in receiver (see pic)

bumper2.jpg
Now, here's my NEXT problem. This new bumper comes with a "template" for determining the location of the 4 new holes that need to be drilled into the cross member (total of 4 on each side, counting existing holes). Doesn't sound like a big deal, except for the fact that the gas tank is in the way. So, in order to utilize the 2 additional bolts on each side, I'd have to drop the tank. I'm only gonna be towing a 5x8 utility trailer and my Honda Foreman. Can I get away with mounting the bumper with the existing mounts/bolts? There's a total of 6 bolts now (counting the large body bolts underneath). In my mind, I don't see this being an issue considering the light weight I'll be towing. Advice?

TerryMason,

I considered this option, but it was out of my price range at the moment. Definitely a logical option, though.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't skimp on the bumper bolts if you'll be towing with it - especially if it doesn't cost you anything but some effort. Probably wouldn't make a difference, but I'd feel better about it.

If the bolts were going to the frame, I would certainly not skimp, but if they go to the crossmember... I dont know... I just might. But then again, I just might not!

Back