Front trac bar keeps moving.

Craig

The front trac bar on my 93 YJ keeps coming loose and slinding in the hole on the driver's side. I've tried cranking the bolt as tight as I can and using loctight. This hole is not round, it's more of a long, stetched out hole. I remember back when I first got my jeep there was some kind of small bracket or something in this hole. Can anyone tell me who might have this bracket on if it's there to prevent movement of the trac bar bolt. Every time this bolt slides, my axles shift causing my steering wheel to be out of alignment.[addsig]

get rid of the track bar... you don't need it.. you will get a little lateral movement but not enough to worry about... when you put your lift in you probably used neoprene bushings... they are strong enough to keep the axle from moveing... also remove your sway bar... you will find after you remove the track bars and sway bar you will have a load more flex.... IF you don't want to try what i have suggested or you do try this and are uncomfortable about it just weld two washers with the same size hole on both sides of the bracket... let me know how it works for ya... cheers...[addsig]

Craig that is good advice. I just took my trak bar off the rear with a little more than a little un easyness. I did and you know I can not tell it is gone unless I need to flex.

Last night my son came in with a huff and a puff that we never get to the woods any more, It had been 4 days sence we were off road. So we went and it was after dark. I was leading and we went throug a big wash out area. The Jeep was doing it and he was right behind me. We got to the top where we could look back and see the lights from town through a pass in the mountains. He said hey man the rear axel moves more than it use to. That was proof enough to me.

The front is going soon and if it seems to loose for me I will buy new bushings and replace them. There are guys here that say they took em off and now thay are just garage clutter and will never go back on! Tug[addsig]

Been there, done that. I have quick disconnects on my sway bar so that's not a problem. I've tried taking off my trac bar but I get a lot of axle movement. I'm assuming I get a lot more than other people because of my revolver shackles. If I hit any kind of bump on the road, it throws my jeep all over the place. If I turn a corner without the trac bar in, my steering wheel will be off by about a 1/4 of a turn. I need the trac bar in and am planning on getting a telescoping one when I can afford it. I need to know if the little bracket that used to be on the trac bar keeps it from moving in the hole.[addsig]

There is always bailing wire and duct tape. lol I wish I could be more help here but I am just not the sharpest knife in the drawer. You are far ahead of me already. I wish the best and some one will be along to make it all good. Tug[addsig]

You need the little u shaped piece, the bracket will not be tight on the track bar without it. Try a washer or two on the inside of the frame mount, next to the track bar bushing, this may tighten it up. You may even have to slightly bend the mount open to get washers in there, then it will close super tight when cinched down over the washers.

I run w/o front swaybar or rear track bar, but I think I'll always have the front track bar. The shackles and steering introduce too much side-to-side movement in the axle to not have it.[addsig]

Back