Stalling 88 Wrangler

Howie361

I have an 88 wrangler 4 cylinder 5speed that starts up and immediately stalls...drove home from work fine and now this...everyone has something different to say...i need help and dont have alot of money to be buying random parts...i did change the fuel filter... where do i start..

Well....... First we need to know what you have under the hood of your YJ, other than it is a 4 cyl./5 speed? Has it be modified with an after-market carb, ignition, etc.? Does it stall on it's own, if so is it immedately or does it take a few seconds? Or does it stall when you try putting it in gear?

Regardless, there is a trouble shooting proceedure I would follow prior to investing in new parts randomly. I would start with:

1. Do I have any visable lose vaccum lines? (you can find the vaccum diagrahms online with little effort).
2. Am I getting fuel at the carb while cranking the engine?
3. Am I getting fuel into the engine following step one?
4. What do my spark plugs look like? Are they fouled from flooding (blackist & wet) or lean (lighter burnt coloring and dry)?
5. Am I actually get spark at each cylinder? The plugs will be a good indicator depending on the color. But you likely need to test each plug and wire seperately.

I'd start here and elminate some possibilities....... Keep us posted.

x2, I would not buy anymore parts. you should be able to track this down. Good advise above... Dont just look for unhooked vac lines, look for cracks in the lines. They will be rubber lines about the size of you finger or smaller. You have changed the fuel filter, so follow that line up to your engine and unhook it, crank the engine and see if fuel comes out the line, if so your pump is good. I would guess you have a big vac leak somewhere based on how it starts then immediately shuts off. Is your idle set too low? meaning if you give it some gas will it stay running.

Back