Search for new Jeep....V8 vs L6?

PoliceMonkey161

So....... The dust has cleared from my accident and trying to get a fair value for my CJ7 from the at fault drivers insurance is proving difficult! But that is another story.

My search for a new or replacement Jeep has found a couple, but the two I have looked at that have my interest are both V8's. One has the orginial 304 and the other has a upgraded 360 (seems like a lot for a Jeep). Both of my CJ's and the one Cherokee have had straight six's which had never let me down.

Any thoughts on the V8's? I'm in no real hurry.....Still looking :shock:.

The inline 6 is a great engine no doubt. But the V8 jeeps that I have driven were flat out awesome. You don't hear guys with V8 Jeeps saying I should have got the I6. Just my opinion. Good luck

I like my 304, it gets a solid 14mpg, sounds good and makes it feel kinda like a hotrod. I know the 6cyls are dependable as hammer and prob all you need in a Jeep I'd go with the 304 for the fun factor myself.

definitely check the 360 out very well for leaks. the rear main is probe to leaking and that can lead to trouble. that's what essentially ruined ours. the v8 is wonderful though and as long as its not a daily driver or you don't mind poor gas mileage I'd say go for it!!

The 360 in the mid 70,s only had around 150-175hp, the 304 of the same years had 125-150hp. This dont sound like much but just ask some 304-360 owners what they think of the power output of there enginges, They LOVE them. They are not race cars but they have all the power you will ever need. I loved my little 304, Im running a chevy 327 now and at times actually miss my old 304, the 327 simply has too much power for me off road. The l6 are some tough engines but, just about all of them has the amc tick of the valve train and are pluged with miles of vac lines and a crappy carb and intake.. TONS of torque though.... Myself, 304 anyday.... The 360 is only around 25 more hp and weighs more.

hey saw the post checked out craigs list in our area to include pa and va fpund a lot of cj s there. some in poretty good condition. the 6 was the same engine we had in our amc concord detective cars for over 12 -15 years. our shop loved those engines. only had one fail in the entire fleet and you know how hard police are on vehicles even those that are assigned to us.
mu vote is with the 6

What 69jeepcj stated, the 304 and 360's of the 70's and 80's were a power joke. those motors were totally choked down with smog crap and poor flowing intakes and heads (ironically good flowing exhaust manifolds).

If it were me, and it's not so this may be a little excessive. I would search for a 4cyl. then I would look to swap in a gm 4.8 or 5.3 with a trans of choice. these motors put down some consistant and reliable numbers for HP and TQ. Super reliable and not all that expensive. we recently bought a 4.8 from a 01 1500, complete motor with ecu and accessories and a slightly hacked wiring harness for $500 from the salvage yard. We're going to spend another $700 for a fool proof stand-alone wiring system and ecu flash and run this in a buggy.

Cliff notes... the 4cyl CJ's generally are a lot cheaper, under 2 grand for a complete re-power, have a reliable fun to drive jeep.

any jeep with a v8 is a fun jeep.

i have only had friends with v8 cjs and they were a blast. i have only owned 6 cylinder models myself though

Most v8 CJ's I've seen came with the wide-ratio 3spd or the auto and quadratrac 4wd systems. I'm not a fan of the 3spd, and the quadratac has its limitations.

i got your message but cant figure out how to respond. call me at 410-768-7878 or cell 443 618 2845. i am interested

Back