Upgrading gears

TrailRatedRN said:
I have 3.73 gears with the D30 in the front and D44 in the back. I've been banking some money with the intention to regear to 4.10 and add a locker in the back. Am I understanding from this statement that I will not be able to go to 4.10 because the D30 can't take it and I will shear my axle?

I ran 4:10s on my stock D30 for about 5 years. No problem. I upgraded two years ago to a D44 up front and re geared to 4:88 to accommodate my 37 in tires. I could have put 4:88 in my D30 but the axle is not recommended for 37s,too weak. The carrier is what holds the ring gear inside your differential.

I have 3.73 gears with the D30 in the front and D44 in the back. I've been banking some money with the intention to regear to 4.10 and add a locker in the back. Am I understanding from this statement that I will not be able to go to 4.10 because the D30 can't take it and I will shear my axle?
That's not what he's saying. You simply need a different carrier for the lower gear ratios. Most axles require two different size carriers (differentials) to accommodate the wide range of gear ratios available.

Sometimes it is possible to purchase a 'thick' gearset in the lower gear ratio to fit your 'high ratio' carrier so no new carrier purchase is required.

Back