starting problems

jeremyn

I just got an 83 CJ7 with 258. I don't know a whole lot about the history, but it has an Offenhauser intake with Holley 4 bbl on top. I was told(unconfirmed) that it has some type of performance cam also. The starter(new) can turn the engine over a few times then the engine seems to crank back - like the starter cannot push it through the compression stroke and it kicks back. At that point, you hear the starter ring and starter teeth grinding and if you still hold on the ignition, the starter locks up and will do nothing until the ignition is shut off and then try again. Once the engine starts though, it runs fine, takes fuel ok throughthe whole rpm band. I think that timing is ok, but wondered if a performance cam affects how an engine is to be timed? Any ideas of what is happening? Thanks
[addsig]

try to retard the timing some, sounds like the piston is going up and your 're trying to ignite the fuel at the same time, before it's comming down on the down stroke. or worse the cam was not dial in [degree] with the crank, when it was installed.
[addsig]

Back