CD players

flatie46

I put a new CD player in my Jeep when I first got it on the road a couple years ago. It worked great for a while, then the volume knob wouldn't work at times. Then back in the summer it started blowing fuses to the radio. Finally it laid down for good. I run mine with just a bikini top all summer and I had figured moisture had probably gotten the best of it. I think I'm going to go with a boat radio and see how it does. Walmart has one thats 240watts for 100bucks. Anybody tried a boat radio? would there be any reason it wouldn't do well in my old CJ?

I just got one off ebay in the summer. I run the same way in the summer but haven't had mine in long enough to tell you how well it works.

I think I could get by without the steering wheel easier than I could without a CD player. Really...I can't sing!

I don't think a marine radio would be a problem. Just remember, although your HU is water resistant, it does not make the entire dash water proof.

You could shield it with plastic, possibly an insert but it will need to have some ventilation to release the heat from the unit.

The dash really doesn't get that wet with the bikini top on it, maybe some mist blowing in from the sides when driving in a good rain. All my factory gauges work except the clock, so moisture hasn't seemed to bother them. Maybe it wasn't a moisture that killed my radio, I just assumed it did. Really I've never had much luck with CD players. I've been throwing hints to the wife, maybe santa will bring me one. If not, the day after Christmas I'll see if I can get a bargin.

I have been thinking about the same thing but I think I'm going to pick up a console that will hold a stereo, they are kinda spendy but I think in the long run it would be a better way to go..

The dash really doesn't get that wet with the bikini top on it, maybe some mist blowing in from the sides when driving in a good rain. All my factory gauges work except the clock, so moisture hasn't seemed to bother them. Maybe it wasn't a moisture that killed my radio, I just assumed it did. Really I've never had much luck with CD players. I've been throwing hints to the wife, maybe santa will bring me one. If not, the day after Christmas I'll see if I can get a bargin.

It may have been the moisture. I would expect the radio to be a little more fragile than the rest of the console, esp if it was one with a removable face plate and exposed connectors in front. The marine radio getting wet shouldn't be a prob. It costs more because it's supposed to be resistant enough to sit on a boat and get splashed with waves. :) Just never forget about the rest of the non-water resistant stuff. :)

I found a marine stereo with speakers at bass pro.. The thing that worked well for me was that it was AM/FM with a aux port and USB but no CD, that kept the price low and I don't use CDs anyway..

I got a Marine Cd player from my wife for Christmas. I think the name on it was Boss. So far it works great but my old speakers are weathered and need replacing. We were in Bass Pro the other day I saw the unit your talking about. That's probably were I'll get my speakers, they had a good selection. The only thing I didn't see was a Marine grade amp, but I don't know if they even make such a thing. Lol

Boss or Bose. If bose, you got one h...ll of a unit. The best as far as im concerned. Oh,, and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

It's called BOSS.. I've seen them at Walmart. But I got the marine version at bass pro... It's not the quality if a ken wood or alpine but not kraco either.. I thought about one with lots of flashy lights great sound but since it's open to the elements and sticky fingers I chose one that's not top dollar but still had decent sound. Plus it was cheaper without the CD player and takes up less space..so far I've been happy with it

Yea, mine's a BOSS brand too. I had a Sony in it, had Kenwood in my Cherokee. I tell ya, I've never had any of them to last very long without some kind of issue. So I figure might as well buy a cheap one. Mine also spends the summer with the top off (just a bikini top) and the doors don't lock on my hardtop so there's anthor reason to buy a cheapy. The Sony only lasted 2yrs, the kenwood about the same and then quit playing CD's.
Simzar, I would have bought the unit you got if we had some decent radio stations in my area. The classic rock station I'm really burnt out on and the country stations just seem to play the same thing over and over. That left me with talk radio and politics really **** me off these days. I'd like to have satelite radio, a friend has it I forget what the name of it is but it's awesome.

Flatie46... We have a few good stations around here but I mostly got the one I did because I can plug my mp3 player or my iPhone into it.

I got an MP3 player but haven't loaded anything on it yet. I'd say the days are numbered on cd's, just like all the previous formats. I always seem to be one of the last ones to enjoy new technology but what can I say, I have a CJ5 as a daily driver. lol

Back