Why is there a gear here???

gallawaycl

I recently destroyed my right rear axle. which inturn sent shrapnal throughout my rear end. I had the dealerfix that (not under warranty) but I have a question. While changing my rear brakes yesterday, I noticed a bronze like colored gear, behind the axle hub (behind where the studs protrude). I asked the dealership that worked on it what it's purpose is and they said it has to do witht the ABS brakes. I don't see how it's not connected to or connecting with any thing else. It's just there. Whats the story?? Does anyone know??

edited by: gallawaycl, Apr 07, 2003 - 07:30 PM[addsig]

what year/model/trim level do you have? gold stuff might be watered down gear (differential) oil, or just some anti-sieze...

-nate[addsig]

Im not for sure, but it might not be a gear. It may be the trigger wheel for the wheel speed sensor.

HTH

Nathan[addsig]

I'll have to take a pic of it and post it. My descrition is probably throwing gears in the heads of everybody
[addsig]

I don't know what it is, but i feel your pain. just had my rearend replaced.[addsig]

I loooked up the parts in the Owners bible and found that it soes regulate the ABS. Only thing is, I don't have ABS. But the F@$%ing said that all Jeeps have rear ABS. Jack A$$. WOW I that the service manager would know a little about Jeeps before trying to substantiate his screw up.

Thanks for your comments folks![addsig]

Not all jeeps have ABS. It is still an option. My friends 03 rubicon does not have ABS (I know from experience)

Johnny[addsig]

Back