YJ temp running low

Zarski

I took my YJ to the Pismo Dunes After a while of having fun I notice the temp was low, line all the way to the left 110 when the jeep was idling. When i would put in gear and give it gas the temp started to rise but never over 190ish. I replaced the thermostat but it still is running cold. I can drive the jeep for miles and it will always fun cold. Any. Ideas???????? Would be very apprciated

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

What temp thermo did you put in? Was the one you removed stuck or failed open?
Could be a bad temp sending unit. I believe the yj has two one for the PCM and one for the gage.
There is a way to check the sending units with a ohm meter. I don't have the resistances you should read on hand but they are posted somewhere.

My v8 runs around 185-190, I think most jeep 6cyl run around 200- 210. Heat is bad for an engine, so running cool is a good thing, I wouldnt worry at all about running from 170-210. I would look into why it was all the way down to 110 though, that seems odd. Do you have a thermostat in the jeep? maybe it got stuck open. Just changed my daughters thermo that was getting stuck shut on ocassion.

Sounds like your low on coollant.

Just guessing you have a 4.0 in your YJ, you want it to be around 210F

Sorry. I have a 4 banger. I replaced the thermo. With. One thar had a 190 temp. The guy at auto parts store said that was manufacture. Recommended. The old was did seem like it was stuck open

Thermo-1.jpg

this is a failed open thermo.

Yes you need a195 deg though 190 is close enough. It could have failed open again like the one in the pic has less than 5k mi or less than 6 mo on it and failed.

Be sure all the air is out of the system. Then feel the upper rad hose as the jeep warms. 110 is easy to hold the hose. When or if the thermo opens the 190+ deg fluid makes it difficult to hold onto that hose. If the hose never gets really hot it may be a bad thermo.

Otherwise look at the temp send units.

My 93 Jeep 2.5 runs at or below 160 degrees, most run cool.

I got the temp to go up now up to above 190ish. Now the problem is. After i drive it for a while like 30 min or so. The temp. Goes down back too 100. Or around there. Any. Suggestions

Thank you

I think a head gasket would cause the opposite, overheat from lossing coolant and I beleive you would hear a small hissing sound from presure seeping through the gasket at idle when it was warm. Not saying that isnt it but from my experience I doubt it. I tend to agree with jps4jeep, it does sound like you are low on coolant. hope this dont sound insulting but a friend of mine did it, When you filled the radiator did you fill it then let it warm up to open the stat? The stat should pull coolant from the radiator into the block to fill it, which a lot of times almost emptys the radiator and needs refilled?

That would eventually overheat. Mainly from air on the system.

Two things one is a failed open thermo. And yes they fail right out of the box. Also you may have a bad to sending unit. There is two one going to the PCM and one to the gauge.

Back