Need help identifying lift

Atlwheeler32

I bought a '94 Sahara about a month ago and am trying to determine the amount and type of lift. I can tell you that the measurement from the rocker panel to the ground (below the center of the drivers door) is 23" and I am running 33" tires on 15" rims. The Jeep looks like it sits a little higher in the front and there is no extra weight (no spare) on the back. The front shocks (labeled Superlift) measure 13.25" from bottom of boot to center of eye while the rear shocks measure 11.75" from bottom of boot to center of eye (I don't know if this matters). The front shackles measure 6.5" eye to eye and the rear shackles measure 4" eye to eye. Here are some pictures, hopefully someone can shed some light....

front shackle
DSCN2572-1.jpg

rear shackle
DSCN2575-1.jpg

rear shock
DSCN2581-1.jpg

front shock
DSCN2583-1.jpg

body mount
DSCN2576-1.jpg

front spring
DSCN2574-1.jpg

Last edited:

Your front shackles and shocks look new and would say they are both superlift. Your rear shackles are stock. I would be my guess that your springs are BDS 4" based on the spring clamps and spring eye bushings. A lot of lifts end up just a bit higher in the front than in the rear, but your dif is probably due to the stock shackle length in the rear and extended aftermarket shackle in front. I see they shimed the rearend and use a tcase drop which is good, (lessens your ujoint angle on the rear driveshaft). The front to rear shocks will be dif lengths.

69jeepcj,

Thanks for the help. Three questions:

1. Someone on another forum said, "Those springs look shot." Any evidence of that to you??
2. Would you recommend 6.5" eye to eye shackles in the back to match the ones in the front?
3. Should there be some kind of company identification somewhere on the springs?

Any other opinions/comments would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I agree with 69Jeepcj with the exception that your springs look closer to 2.5" of lift? The rearward cant of the Jeep is do to the front having 2" lifted shackles and the rear schakles being stock. Is there wear or rub marks on the inside side wall of the front ties? The previous owner may have had a tire rubbing issue after installing 33" tires and the quick fix was to lift the front? This would also support my 2.5" spring theory, a 4" lift would have given plenty of room....But that is just my best guess. You don't have a body lift, those are stock body mounts/bushings.

Stock shackles are 4", so your 2.5" longer front shackles are lifting the front an additional 1.25". The amount of lift is half the difference in shackle length because you're only moving one end of the spring.

It's likely a 4" spring kit, the minimum required to clear 33" tires on a YJ.

I'd replace the front shackles with 4" shackles to improve steering geometry. Lift shackles are generally all around a bad idea.

And those springs look fine.

I doubt the company name will be on the spring. There may be some numbers painted in white on the spring but it usualy wears off pretty fast. As to your shackles, Im not a huge fan of shackle lifts, not sure which way I would go. As bounty hunter has said, shackle lifts are generaly a bad idea but, you are right at the recommended max limit of 2" longer (1" lift). If you like them and are not having any handling issues with the front MAYBE but, If you add them to the back you very easly could cause rear driveshaft vibration. I think I would just replace the fronts with 4" shackles also. Oh and when I said BDS suspension, thats BIG DICKS SUSPENSION.

Back