a/c eliminate compressor w/by-pass pulley?

frhrwa

I removed all of the a/c from my 1984 CJ-7 except for the compressor.. can't take it off because of the serpentine belt routing? anyone know of where I can buy one of those by-pass pulley assembly's so I can yank the compressor off the motor?

Just a guess, but couldn't you just buy a belt for a CJ without AC? Or does the non ac version have a pully instead of the AC pump?

I did the same on my 81 CJ7. Like Terry suggested, you will need a shorter belt rather than putting a dummy pulley in place of the a/c compressor. In my case with the AMC 360, I built a custom alternator bracket that mounted on the a/ c platform then got the shorter belt from napa.

Just a guess, but couldn't you just buy a belt for a CJ without AC? Or does the non ac version have a pully instead of the AC pump?
can't do it.. the belt goes right across the water pump and a bunch of bolts.. only way to get rid of the compressor, is to put a pulley up there or move the alternator..

^ yes, google it. You can turn your A/C compressor into a air compressor for air tools on the trail or to air up your tires. A lot of people will also seal up their roll bars and, or bumpers and make them air tanks.

Back