Aussie Lokka- Front or rear?

rolyak

'97 2.5L 5 spd and no "Trac-Loc" primarily used use on short (30 mi) runs and trips to our woods very steep trail. No real off roading use!

The Aussie sounds like a simple installation and not too expensive, like to hear your opinions, thanks!8)

Last edited:

Aussie is, in my opinion, the best lunch box locker. Put one in both axles.

I run them front and rear. Not for the faint of heart in the front in winter in 4x4. But works great.

It will pull you around alot in the front. If your accelerating they are locked. Making it want to go straight into corners. In the rear would be best but you have to be carefull till you get used to it. The Aussie won't fit in in the trac loc case so you would have to spend 80 bucks to get the open case. With locked diffs you also lose lateral stabilility on slippery side hills it's nice to be able to have at least one tire that follows and keeps it straight. Once your used to it they are great. I live in Canada so 6 months of deep snow is what I drive in. I just use 2 wheel most of the time. Drives ok. 4 wheel you get mad torque steer and if you accelerate around a slippery corner in 4wd it will have the tendacy to under steer

To add to what Jester32 said, the Aussie is an auto locker, meaning that when your wheels break traction (spin) it will automatically lock and both wheels will spin at the same speed. When you get into trouble is when you are driving down the road, and you roll over a patch of ice - your wheel will spin slightly, and the axle will lock. This sudden (unexpected by the driver) locking can cause the Jeep to shift / buck / move..

Having said this, I think I'm going to get an Aussie locker for the front of my Jeep.

I run Spartan lockers bigger pins and alot smoother engaging and disengage. You can add additives like power punch that are made to help make the auto locker smoother. I had a assuie don't get me wrong they are just as good and hold up like the Spartan but the clicking and hard engaging made me switch when a pin broke on my aussie. I don't even notice mine in the front. They will cause bad understeer in 4x4 in snow and ice. An auto locker will engage anytime torque is applied to the diff. So it will take time to get use to like coasting around corners instead of throttling threw it. Bottom line is they take time to.get use to but they are the best bang for your buck. You will have to buy a open carrier if you have a trac lock or they do make auto locker that fit into that carrier but they are around 500ish and at that price you would be better off going with a Detroit.

First of all: no trac loc, F and R open. I see this is a fairly common question now and appreciate all the opinions! I think i'll go with the locker in the rear. Seems like it will take some getting used to but much less if it's in the rear. Aussie has a curious recommendations; such as, do not use in the rear with a manual trans and EFI.????? Waiting for their reply.
Also, why is it called a "lunch box" locker?

I believe it's a spin off of how easy they are to install. You can install one on a lunch break with small took.you brought from home in your lunch box?

Good choice on locking the rear first, it gives the most benefit as the majority of weight transfer when offroad is rearward.

Just be careful with one in the rear on snowy and icie roads, NO SUDDEN THROTTLE. Both rear tires will now be getting torque at the same time, and it can put you in a spin quick. I had been driving with a rear locker only for about 4-5 years and we had a decent snow that was melting, I hit a large patchy section of snow on the road and as I went from asphalt onto the snow, it istantly put my jeep into a spin and I fliped into a ditch. It was totaly my fault as I was not paying attention when I drove onto the patch of snow. Im just saying your rear end will fish tale very easy on slick road if your not careful.. you will get used to it though. I had no problems driving it in 4x4 in the snow though. Only had a locker in the rear..... You will love the locker though, it makes a night and day differance. Just keep in mind anytime you push the throttle it will lock up, and anytime you let off the pedal it will unlock.

Back