Yj death wobble

jord30391

Hey all new to the forum,

Was wondering if anyone could help me out, I have 93 yj with 31's and just fitted a 2.5 inch lift... The death wobble was there before I fitted the lift at around 50mph but now after the lift and new steering dampener wobbles at around 40mph. I know that there are different reasons and some times hard to pin point to eliminate one I've had the tyre balanced and still no change.

We were out yesterday in the yj and with no build up she started the wobble (most violent yet) genuinely put the frights up me! When I pulled per to check everything over the new steering dampener was hanging down and the bolt from the axel was gone I replaced the bolt and used thread lock this time so if it was a loose bolt then that shouldn't happen again right?

I've been reading up about the track bar and how that can sometimes cause the DW and how a number of owners prefer o remove the track bar all together as "it is pointless on leaf sprung vehicles" I assume that if removing the bar this would help identify the cause a it would stop of the track bar was the source?

I'm rather new to all this and all replies would be a great help!

Jord30391

Start by removing those useless trac bars. Then see what happens you tube has a lot of good videos on the death wobble and how to track down the cause and fix it. I had a death wobble but I removed and up graded everything under my 95 yj and the problem was gone. with new axles high steer SOA etc. I can't say for sure what was the initial cause.

Welcome to Jeepz.com.

The track bar is normally the first place to start troubleshooting death wobble on a TJ, but I'm with insufficient funds, just remove it from your YJ. Most likely you've got a worn component somewhere (bad tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.). You also may want to have your Jeep aligned if you haven't done that since lifting it (I'm a big fan of Firestone's lifetime alignment). Here's the article I did on death wobble a while back:

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29510-wrangler-death-wobble-what-causes-how-fix.html

Death Wobble is very rare in a leaf sprung vehicle, and even more rare in a YJ. I would have somebody bounce the steering wheel back and forth against full-lock while you inspect every steering component for looseness.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll give the last comment a try see if that can throw up any clues if not move onto removing the trackbar. Will update when I've done either and if I find anything.

Jord30391

The VERY first thing I would do is get an alignment. You have taken off the suspension and put on a new, it was aligned before the lift and now it is ALL changed.(you have to align with new lift) I would have to bet the alignment will fix your DW as long as your ball joints are not the culprit. As to your steering dampner, you should be ok now that you put lock tight on it, and it shouldnt happen again, That was a freak accident that usually doesnt happen.

Sorry It has been re-aligned since the lift, also got underneath before and got someone to full lock the steering right and left and I couldn't see any movement?

I would check the ball joints.. It doesn't take much movement to cause a problem..

The VERY first thing I would do is get an alignment. You have taken off the suspension and put on a new, it was aligned before the lift and now it is ALL changed.(you have to align with new lift)
A YJ's alignment is not changed after a suspension lift (but for the steering wheel being slightly off-center), therefore it should not affect any wobble or vibration. A YJ has a wheel to wheel tierod, same as a CJ, therefore alignment doesn't change with suspension height. The same can not be said for the XJ And TJ.

Back