cold weather starting

69jeepcj

Probably a silly post but just wanted some thoughts or suggestions.
The story.
Months ago my starter started dragging and turning the engine over slow, It got to the point that I had to jump start it everyday because if it didnt start right up, it would drain the battery. Sometimes taking almost an hour to get started with the jumper cables, each time you turned the key, it would just kill the bat. Long story short: I rebuilt the starter, still same thing, had battery checked(thought I did that at the beginning of problem) and it failed the load test. Got free replacment battery, went home and hooked it up and engine cranked right over (no start), tried starting it about a half dozen times with no luck, even tried starting fluid (didnt want to drain the new battery). This is on a 65 327 with a 650 holley 4 barrel carb. It has been in the single digits up to the teens here the past few days and I know these old 4 barrel carbed points ignition engines are hard to start in cold weather. I dont want to keep cranking it and run the new battery down in these temps. would you put jumper cables on it while trying to start it or wait till the bat starts draining and then put cables on it if needed. any suggestions as to getting this thing started in this weather? Its been sitting for about 2 weeks now. plugs are firing, just wont start.
Oh, last winter if the jeep sat outside and it got cold like it is now, the jeep would not start unless I had it in the garage over night. its been outside for the last month. So it def dont like cold weather.

Last edited:

So........ Just curious, what happens when you spray starting fluid? Does it fire up at all? As for the jumper question, I'm not an expert but I was told that you hook up the cables and let the other vehicle run and charge (heat up) the battery in need.

I just had never hooked cables up to a good battery before and didnt know if it would over charge or if it would be ok to do that. My thoughts were to hook up the cables and leave them hooked up until I get the thing started. With the starting fluid, it did nothing, just cranked over. Only used the starting fluid one time with the new battery, I was in a hurry and just wanted to try it real fast. may try again today if I get time.

Tried it again today and nothing, just cranked over.. I did put a volt meter on the coil though, and the wire coming from the ignition to the ballast resistor read 13. something, on the other post on the ballast resistor I got 5.3 from there the wire go,s to the coil and it read the same 5.3. I know the resistor is supposed to reduce the voltage but I thought it was supposed to be around 9 not 5.3, so this is indicating a bad coil, correct?? I couldnt check it while cranking because I was alone. I do have another coil on the shelf, but cant remember if its any good. Is there a way to test it before puting it in?

i never had issues with points in cold weather, even in snow.

i cannot think of anyway to test a coil, off the top of my head. did google show anything?

pull a plug and see if you are getting spark. you might be getting spark but missing something else.

got a few minutes to look at the jeep today and the plugs are not firing, I thought they were. so, going to check the points and then the coil. At least im getting somewhere now. thanks

thanks smizar, I will pay attention to that when I get a chance to check it out. I have to work today so I doubt I will get time to look at it untill the weekend. Its been parked outside on the street about two houses down since this happened. My driveway is on a small incline, so im trying to figure out how Im goin to get it up the drive and into the garage so I can spend some time on it. I was going to push it in with my dads truck but the bumpers dont line up. Probably have a few friends come over and just push it. Not a huge hurdle to over come, just frustrating, because if it had been in the garage to start with, it would have been fixed by now. thanks for your guys help and will keep ya updated.

Holy crap,it looks like I was drunk when I typed that last post.. I'm glad you got the context.. Lol..

Well I got it! After going crazy, found out the coil is good, points good. It was the most basic, The plug wire ends were corroded at the dist cap. got new cap, rotor button, wires and fired right up. thanks for the help.

Back