Starts/idols great! Then lags, sputter and stalls at 35mph

Noy2014

The Jeep starts up and idols like a champ! But then lags, sputters then stalls at about 35mph, which might actually be related to hitting a specific RPM.

A little background; I recently installed a new Painless Wiring Harness, naturally bypassing the computer. I replaced a NEW Distributor+cap, fuel hoses and filter in the engine, and running a Weber 32/36 DGEV.

The temp gauge is not working, might be an old bad connector. The oil pressure gauge are not working, and I have no clue why. These might be irrelevant, but nevertheless concern me to drive like that.
I've inspected the spark plugs, and all 6 look as follows;
http://noyhadar.com/blog/1986-jeep-c...-6cyl-258.html

So I replaced them with some a basic Champion set. Made no difference! The wires look solid and relatively new, no cracks. The points distributor, has a single black wire which I have connected to the green "coil-" wire. I've been told this is a ground wire, but if I disconnect from green coil-, it will not start. See attached pictures.

What else can I do to get over 35mph without sputtering and stalling??
image-missing.png

Attachments

• Photo-Feb-10,-3-26-17-PM.jpg
    Photo-Feb-10,-3-26-17-PM.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 402
  • Photo-Feb-04,-1-34-22-PM.jpg
    Photo-Feb-04,-1-34-22-PM.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 376

Did you set the points gap and dwell? sounds like it could be that. Look at your coil, does it require a ballast resistor? some points coils do and some dont. It should say on the side of the coil, "external resistor required" Your points cant not have a full 12volts after start up or it will burn up you points, the resistor drops that voltage. Just a FYI, If your jeep is a 80,s model then someone has put the points in or the engine is from the 70,s because by the mid to late 70,s (74 i think) points were gone, and electronic ignition replaced it. If you dont have a dwell meter, get one (I love mine), you can get them at sears, your local auto store, probably walmart, they are around 30 dollars but makes the job of setting your points easier and more accurate. Just reread your post, if they are old points they may be going bad, they will act the way you discribe when they start going, or need readjusted. Did you buy the points dist or just replace it?? If you bought it to replace the electronic ignition and didnt get a points coil, you will need to get one. If you find you need a ballast resistor, they are easy to hook up. Unhook where your red ignition wire is on the coil and hook it to one side of the resistor, run a seperate red wire from the other side of the resistor to where the red ignition wire was on the coil, Thats it. Your wires look hooked up correct on the coil, I dont know about the purple wire though, and the green wire on my jeep is the tach, but I dont have stock wiring.

Last edited:
So....let me ask a question or two. I see you have re-wired, did you bypass the iginition module(duraspark unit) all together? If your idling in the driveway (in netural of course) and rev the engine using the Weber linkage under the hood, does it rev up smooth? Or does it hestiate/ if so at what point? Does the secondly linkage start to open at about 1/2 throttle? Do you still have the stock fuel return line hooked up?

You likely have some combined issues with the Weber carb and your iginition. You have the start of an awesome system, but the intial set-up is a pain.

Back