Bad Temp

Zarski

Hi
i have 93 yj 2.5 with tb spacer and cold air intake. The jeeps drops temp from about 190-200 down to 100 or so after it has been driven for a while. According the the temp gauge. I asked my brother who has dabbled in machnics He Said i might have blown a head gasket. Also would this cause the jeep to fail smog in CA. Fails with high knocks. Any ideas....??????

thanks in advance

Are you low on coolant? Does your oil look like a milkshake? I would assume if you had a blown headgasket the temp would be rising not droping, but im no expert. I would check both the oil and coolant to see if it were a heah gasket problem. If it isnt could it be a bad temp sender? Or could the thermostat failed open? Just throwing out some suggestions...

I'd start by looking at the level of coolant as well as the condition of the oil.

Is this a sudden drop in temp, or does it slowly work it's way down?

Are you low on coolant? Does your oil look like a milkshake? I would assume if you had a blown headgasket the temp would be rising not droping, but im no expert. I would check both the oil and coolant to see if it were a heah gasket problem. If it isnt could it be a bad temp sender? Or could the thermostat failed open? Just throwing out some suggestions...

this is on the right line.. milkshake oil, milkshake coolant, sender, and thermostat.. that's the first four I'd check.. even the wiring from the sender could have a bad connector or dirty connector..

Back