electrical

coullion007

I have a 82 cj7. The main wire running from sylenoid to fuse box burned. Now the blinkers, wipers, and heater motor will not work which they were before the wire burned. I replaced the wire thst burned. I have looked at wires under dash see no wires burned. All fuses are good

fusable link. You have probably blown one of the fusable links in your wiring, and they are not fun to find. The link is like a fuse inside the wiring. You can start by closely feeling your wires one at a time from one end to the other, bending the wire slightly with your fingers as you go. You are looking for a soft spot in the wire. A repair manual may show where the links are but thats my guess as to what happened.

That happened to my 81 CJ7 a few years back. I had to open up the wiring harness loom and electrical tape off the wiring bundle and inspected each and every single wire on the harness then replaced the burnt ones. Fortunately I only found 4 wires and one of them was the resistor wire for the ignition coil. Make sure you don't have a short anywhere else otherwise the repair is moot and it will just burn again.

I went through my wiring harness already found some bad spots and fixed them. I just wasnt sure if any of the relays under the dash work the blinkers, wipers or the heater motor.

You'll have two round, cylinder shaped relys that are for your flashers. On the 82 CJ, they should be both on the fuse block plugged into the upper edge. The one on the left is for your hazards and the right is for turn signals. They are typically marked "552" on the tops, but there are many aftermarket manufactures so thing could be stamped on the top. If for some reason the socket on the right (for the turn signals) is blocked off in the panel, look up under the dash around the steering column. On later models of the CJ7 the turn signal was plugged into the harness hanging next to the steering (look to the left side of the column). Your wiper and blower are self contained switches with no external relays.

Ok I do have 2 on the block. There is also one hanging next to column. I appreciate all the info. Im just going to start changing them out and go with that

Back