starting problem....

delsr1

hi , i have a 86 cj 7 and ive been having a starting problem. when i turn the key it sometimes turns real slow almost like a dead battery or bad starter. i replaced the ( battery,starter,coil,starter solinoid,and checked wires for alt.) it still does it, now this is what i think it maybe my tilt steering wheel is broke the steering wheel moves all around, i havent had time to get another one yet. but when i move it or shake it ,it sometimes starts without me turning the key, when it is running and i do it the needle on the volt guage jumps around and goes to 11volts sometimes.and also the starter gets stuck. has anyone ever heard of this? strange isnt it. so im gonna now get a used column, does anybody know if a standard(no tilt) will fit? thanks and sorry for the long post. jim

Don't know if a non tilt column will fit, but if it's from the same year I don't see why it wouldn't. If I were you though, I would try replacing the ignition switch first (the actuall part the key goes into). should be alot cheaper than replacing everything, and If you buy a used one, you'll probably have to buy a new ignition switch anyway (unless you get the keys).

Replacing the ignition switch isn't that hard, although you'll need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off, and this can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

The worst case that I could see is the the wires inside the column are worn, and you'd probably end up replacing the whole column like you planned

hope this helps,
Terry

------------------
'85 CJ-7 - 33s, total of 4.5" lift, TFI ignition, plus more. Click here to see it

Well as far as you column, sounds like your getting a short from a fraid wire or your grounding something. But that probably isn't what is causing the hard starting. That sounds like your timing is advanced to far. Try Retarding your timing just a bit and see if that helps. You may need to re-adjust your idle after doing this because a retarded timing will idle at lower RPM's.

------------------
SHAUN
image-missing.png

On an 86 it may be early enough that you can buy a replacement ign switch (cheap)that already has the harness that you would need to thread down the colum if you actually replace it ---But what you can do is disconect the existing one at the connector below the dashboard above the colum plug the new one in without actually installing it and test it outside of the colum if you still have the same problem then you have eliminated the switch and wiring within the colum if the problem goes away then you know for sure what you need to rip apart to fix it---and you already have the part !. In some cases ford switches work as AMC tended to use whatever they could get off of the shelf from suppliers. Let me know how you make out ! Keep in mind that you may have to use a piece of wire or ground the casing of the new switch I am not 100% sure if jeeps ign switches were grounded or not..

------------------
93 YJ & 2001 Cherokee Limited.Past Jeeps : 94 Cherokee Country,79 Cherokee Chief ,87 YJ Sahara,75 CJ5 Golden Eagle , 82 CJ7

well my tilt colunm is shot. it wobbles so bad and when i turn it moves all around and when i go to start it again i get this problem. i think im gonna get the rebuilt colunm from centech wiring. it comes with everything even a new ignition with 2 keys. jim

Back