Rust removal products

I cant tell you if its ok or not. But most products like that are an acid base product. When you get rust pushing through a chrome plating, it most likely is caused by micro pits in the chrome plating process. The oxidation has nowhere to expand except out the micro pit or opening that allowed the tiny droplet of water through. The easiest way to remove surface rust from chrome plating is fine steel wool. not an SOS pad but 'fine' steel wool, you can find this at most home improvement stores. Just polish lightly and it will remove the surface rust. a light coat of clear lacquer will slow the return of the surface rust.

So I've been using the fin steel wool but it doesn't get everything off. Would it be a bad idea to use a thicker grit or any suggestions for something else?

You can try never dull, you can get it at local auto stores. Ive not had good luck removing heavy rust with it, but it gets rust off of my chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Good stuff

I agree with "utah_jeepster". The liquid rust cleaners are usually acid based and may destroy the surrounding metal surface even more. Before selecting the method of rust removal, it is important to make sure that this method will suit the metal to be treated and would not spoil it even more. There are very few cleaners like the Innosoft B570 that helps clean surface rust within no time, without harming the metal.

Back