Oil dripping from exhaust pipe

jon2009

oil is dripping from all the 4 exhaust ports of my diesel engine,1 of the camshaft exhaust lobes is badly worn out(practically finished).its also smoking thru the oil filling hole,the breather is not blocked.it smokes too much on slight reving thru the tail pipe,and drip oil as well.the smoke is bluish greyish,whitish.when idling no problem is aparent.the cooling system is perfect,no coolent loss,no overheating,no bubbles.

Welcome to Jeepz.com

What type / year of Jeep do you have?

Sounds like you wiped a cam lobe and the metal shavings took out your rings and is letting oil past them and blowing it out your exhaust. the bad rings are letting oil go where it shouldnt. The smoke out your tail pipe is the burning oil. I think its time for a rebuild.

Without knowing more about your rig (i.e. what type/model diesel engine), a fair guess would be along the lines of Jeep69’s reply. With diesel engines (more so than gasoline), if your exhaust lifter were not traveling its designed duration and lift you would see excess exhaust gases/cylinder pressure escaping through the rings on the compression stroke (upwards movement). During this type of malfunction, you will also see additional smoke in the exhaust (un-combusted diesel and it may look like oil or it may in fact be oil).The access pressure would exit the path of least resistance (i.e. the oil filler or the other cylinders that are in a different stroke position?). Since a diesel engine uses a much higher compression ratio than gasoline, blow-by (reverse in this case) can occur easily. Additionally, as mentioned by other members, you may have cylinder sleeve and/or ring damage.
You could try simply replacing the tippet (lifter), but your cam is likely worn down as well. Ideally, you would replace the cam and lifters all at the same time. Once you set your lash, you can check your compression ratio. Smart money would be on pulling the block and rebuilding since you’re pretty much a third of the way just by pulling the cam.

Back