Help with codes?

WODGES

I have a 1992 yj wrangler with 5 speed manual trans and 2.5 engine. I bought the jeep in August last year and the trouble codes keep reading 12 and 33. I can't find a 12 in the codes and I don't have air conditioning as the 33 denotes. I used the counting blinking light method several times and it stays the same over and over. Can anyone help me?

I have a 1992 yj wrangler with 5 speed manual trans and 2.5 engine. I bought the jeep in August last year and the trouble codes keep reading 12 and 33. I can't find a 12 in the codes and I don't have air conditioning as the 33 denotes. I used the counting blinking light method several times and it stays the same over and over. Can anyone help me?

Hi , read your post and researched what I could . Probably not much more than you have found yourself , but I did find something . I know you got a YJ , but my HAYNES wrangler repair Manuel which usually serves me well did not reveal the code 12 as you probably know . However , my CHILTON Manuel which serves Cherokees and grands listed a code 12 as it states " memory to controller has been cleared within 50-100 engine starts ". The code 33 is as you've stated " air conditioner clutch relay circuit - open or short detected in the air conditioner clutch relay circuit . If vehicle doesn't have air conditioning ignore this code " . While neither of these help much , I know you question why you get them . First try cleaning all grounds you find , the computer grounds are on the block with the battery negative on a 4.0 i6 , hope the same for a 2.5 . While these codes seem to come out from left field , this does sound like a computer ground issue as retrieving codes is accomplished by completing a circuit such as grounding an ALDL ( assembly line diagnostic link ) as GM. Calls it. Chrysler's MIL ( malfunction indicator lamp ) works by cycling the ignition lock . These still involve grounds to complete a circuit as some computer functions such as electronic injection does . Sensors or accessories are powered and the computer provides the ground to complete the circuit.
Try cleaning the grounds and clearing codes first ( in hopes they go away ) . Do not fault the computer if the jeep starts and runs well as we are often tempted. Do note the service code number found on the label on your computer and verify if you can that it is the correct ENGINE CONTROLLER ( chryslers name for the computer ) for your vehicle . It is a used vehicle and we do not know it's history . These are good starts and hope they may help . Best of luck , Greg .

I believe 12 is that it has started to read codes. To clear codes unhook battery for a few mins and it should clear codes and relearn. May take a few start ups to fully learn I have a 95 2.5 5 speed with air lol had same code 33 come up and my air works fine?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your insight. I will check the grounds better. I have corrected quite a few electrical problems with this jeep. Brake lights and turn signals did not work when bought. Now all work , just that red light stays on. Love driving this thing. Planning on doing more creative work when time allows.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your insight. I will check the grounds better. I have corrected quite a few electrical problems with this jeep. Brake lights and turn signals did not work when bought. Now all work , just that red light stays on. Love driving this thing. Planning on doing more creative work when time allows.

No problem at all , glad we can help . Hope this works for you . Hey , if you can give a shout to desertrunner and see how he made out with his '93 XJ , he had woes with his turn signals last and maybe you found something concrete that would work for him as we gave him our thoughts of what might be and what to check , although his problem was unique with a swap that left him to correct someone else's handiwork ! Well , that's why we are here , for each other ! Just like if someone where broke down on a trail , not going to leave them for the bugs and snakes ! Best of Luck ! Post when you can . Greg .

P.S. - don't forget what yjhillbilly said , lots of love and money ! That jeep is your life AND your second wife !!!!!!

Last edited:
Back