TJ on road ride?

PretorDepot

My ride to and from work is killing me. I ride 7 miles one way through city streets and never get over 40 mph. I love my jeep, I mean love it, but over the years the ride has gotten stiffer. I feel every crack, every slight imperfection in the road. I don't have a roll or bounce it is a hard knock and rattle on bumps. Feel free to call me a wuss, but I would love some advice on how to soften my ride.

Check your tire air pressure. If you are running it anywhere near the max pressure listed on the sidewall, it is likely too much for the load, in turn making the itre and ride stiff.

What shocks are you running? Skyjacker Nitro shocks can be on the stiff side, look for smoother riding hydraulic shocks.

I am running nitros. I will double check my air pressure and look in to changing shocks. I read somewhere that disconnecting my sway bar could make things softer. Is there any merit to that?

No, disconnecting the swaybar will not change the ride, but it does serve to allow the front axle to articulate better offroad. I'd ditch the Nitro's and consider lowering your tire pressure.

Any particular shocks you would suggest? I have a 4" short arm skyjacker lift. I will lower my tire air pressure asap.

How do your body mounts look? Are they crushed? How about your seats - are they worn out?

My seats aren't in bad shape. The tire pressure is set too high. They did that at my last oil change I think. I run 33 bfg ta/ko. Body mounts don't look crushed to me. Lowering the tire pressure helped some. Thanks.

For those tires many run a tire pressure around 25 psi

Back