TJ keeps blowing ASD fuse

Seth Howard

any idea what would be causing the fuse to blow?? Even after it blows as soon as I replace it it blows again without ignition being on or anything!! ??

Thanks

Hey buddy ! Welcome to the forum ! Just noticed your post and started a little research .
I only have so much in the way of service manual pertaining to your vehicle , but this problem is relevant to systems used in older and newer vehicles like yours . The ASD , auto shutdown relay and fuse control several systems . First of all , each fuse you install blows immediately tells you something very basic and an age old problem ; SHORT TO GROUND. If you can get your hands on a wiring diagram for your vehicle , it would help you tremendously . But at least you can begin inspecting wiring on the following system's wiring harness : fuel injection , ignition , O2 sensor , electric fuel pump . The computer shuts these down to stop engine to prevent engine damage when something like oil pressure or water temperature for instance is at a dangerous level that can cause irreversible damage to your engine ( maybe transmission too ) . Does this mean you will have to tear into EVERY wire under the hood and on or in the truck body ? No , but hopefully not too many or too far into . Start with the O2 wires as they hang in the breeze and are always next to hot exhaust . You start to understand how this happens knowing wires are next to hot exhaust . Fuel injector harness on t the motor can be vulnerable when heat under the hood bakes the insulation after serving your truck years after year . A valve cover job or lash adjustment is performed next to these wires too . I can go on , but you get the point . Maybe following a wiring schematics is not fun , but if you can get one for this system , it will help you immensely.
Try the service and parts department at a local jeep dealer . They should be able to furnish you with copies of the pages . Just tell them of the fuse your truck keeps blowing to give them an idea of what you need . You may get lucky and find it right away . It may be as easy as crawling under the truck to peek up at the O2 sensor wiring . Hope this helps you and gives you a god place to start . Whatever you find in your inspection , post back if you need assistance .
while I got experience on my own vehicle(s) , there are many members who vastly are superior to myself in knowledge and skills . Some may be pro techs or shop owners . Others are just more familiar with many off road vehicles through personal ownership or members of local off road clubs. You've come to the right place , there's people at Jeepz.com who can help .
Great people , always willing to help . I'm new , try to do my part to . Greg92jeepxj

I agree with the above.... Short to ground somewhere. My friend at work had same issue on his car, it took me two day to find his short. his was blowing the fuel pump fuse, and I found the short in the trunk, exposed wire on the metal body

I got the wiring harness and started just messing around with the wires and its running fine now so if it shorts out again I know where to start!! LOL thanks!

Glad to hear that . Hope all continues to work out fine . Yeah , just keep an eye on the wiring harness for bad wires and repair as necessary to keep the gremlins away . Than,s for your reply and best of luck ! Thank you brother 69jeepcj !

Back