A/C install on TJ

tonyfleming

I've read a few posts on other forums about installing A/C in a 2003 TJ. But calling around a few service centers near me, few seem willing to do so. The kit I am looking at is from JeepAir.com and comes with all the necessary parts.

Is there anyone near Baltimore or Washington DC who has had this done and could recommend an installer? Or have you successfully installed one yourself and interested in getting paid to do it again?

I usually ride with the top off, but the heat wave last summer about killed me, so I need the option for those days.

Thanks,
Tony

Hey tony ! Welcome to Jeepz.com ! I am no expert or technition , but I was successful at restoring the A/C in my 92' XJ. I have a working knowledge of air conditioning , but would always welcome the technical assistance of a trained a/c tech. . I took a look at the web site JeepAir.com and was impressed . I did not yet check our faithful QUADRATECH website for a similar kit , for a comparison , but I personally liked what I saw . Me being the kind that likes to cobble together something from a wrecking yard , I did appreciate a complete kit with BRAND NEW PARTS !
Needless to say , I love BRAND NEW PARTS ! For the price they advertised , I would say , GO FOR IT ! They claim it installs directly in place of an existing system needing replacement or a jeep not factory equipped . For fun , I looked up a replacement evaporator for my XJ , they advertised a DIRECT REPLACEMENT which made me happy ! I thought I would need one then , luckily I didn't . But nice to know I can get one . Sometimes you HAVE to have the right fit as needed to work with the correct a/c thermostat my XJ uses. In your case , as long as the kit is complete , for real , no hassle complete , it would be a bolt on in my eyes. I never craked the dash on a wrangler , but was not intimidated by the XJ dash and found it fairly easy , considering. Once off , you can begin following instructions . I'm sure they have a support to call if need be too . If you decide to take this on yourself , there are members in our forum who can offer help that will get it done . I can from my experience , but if anyone knows the wrangler , they would be Better to advise first. Having removed every a/c component from my XJ, I can say that with time allocated , you can do this yourself . The good thing is , you'll know it was done right. All assembled , all you'll need to do is add the correct oil to the system they advise ( poly ester or PAG and correct viscosity) , you'll just need to vac and fill with freon. Of course there is a procedure, but still not science , just done right is all required. I did learn that , and can offer what I did and worked , but anyone in our forum whom has wrangler experience is welcome.
let us know what you decide and we'll guide you through . Word of advice , please don't rush a job like this through (I know it's getting hotter by day) , think it through as anything else and success is abound. Really , you can do this . Just consult your mechanical skills and roll up,your sleeves. I know you said you are looking for someone to install for you , but if you feel you can handle nut and bolts , you can get it done. All you need is time , and a little space to spread out your parts. A note pad and camera is always helpful to eliminate guess work.
Best of luck to you and give us a post for any questions and we can offer our experience and know how . Greg92jeepxj

Back