Bad shake

tjsurf151

Having a problem with my 99 5 spd wrangler, from a dead stop accelerating into 1st or reverse jeep jumps and shakes horribly, every gear once the vehicle is moving is fine...

Stuck brake pad?Bad clutch or are you not giving it gas?

Last edited:
Not sure on the stuck break, but yeah when I give it gas from dead stop like backing out of a parking spot or when light turns green, the whole jeep shakes and feels like its about to stall out

I wonder if this is where the clutch has been hot and the flywheel has a surface issue. My old Chevy truck has this problem, it vibrates and shakes when you let out on the clutch but once it's rolling it's fine. If it is a clutch issue, be sure to replace the pilot bushing while your in there.

Can you overcome this by just revving the engine up? Also, does it happen all of the time, or just when it's warmed up?

I had a Mustang that sat for years and had a similar situation. I would have to rev the engine up to get it to start from a dead stop. I believe the problem was dirty injectors (although I sold it before fully fixed).

Yeah if I rev it and burn the clutch a bit it's fine and it gets worse as the vehicle is warmed up, didn't even notice the problem much until the weather started getting warm, but I've owned it for 2 years as far as I know original clutch

Sounds like the clutch is slipping and needs replaced soon. Adding larger tires without a gear change can also cause this.

Back