91 jeep wrangler 4x4

JohnBoy72

Ok I wanted to know if anyone has used wheel spacers to make wheels look wider? Is that a good idea or no?

I'm not a big fan of wheel spacers... Just one more thing that can fail.

If there well made, they can work out fine. I've not had them on a jeep, but have them on my Yamaha Rhino side by side. On it, there working just fine and have now for years. We drive it pretty aggressively in the dunes, jumping etc with no issues at all. I looked at spacers for my jeep and I think they were like 200.00. You can "just about" buy 4 black steel wheels for the same, or maybe 30-50 more.

There a little harder on the wheel bearings. The bigger the tires the harder they are on the bearings. If you're going to wheel it hard i would suggest not to use them. If you only terrorize the public on paved roads, Maybe you can get away with them. My preforance would be the aftermarket wheels.

I have 2" spacers on mine and have had them about a year or so. When first installed, I had to regularly check them and many times retighten them up, actually right now I only have the spacers up front because one of the rear had loosened and I didn't catch it in time, it stripped the threads on my wheel studs and trying to get the lug nut off of it, I cracked it in half so I just took off the rear and left the fronts on. The fronts have settled in and I don't have to check it as much and when I do they and no longer loosening up. So, do I like them? Yes and no. Seems once they settle in and don't loosen anymore they are fine but, can be hassling until then.

I run them, they're not any harder on wheel bearings than using rims with less backspacing. I wouldn't run wider than 1.25", and I used loctite when installing mine. Never a problem. But I also have one extra lug per wheel ;)

Back