Duraspark for the FI install

it looks like I'm on my way to a fuel injection install in 7 to 10 days according to the customer service rep at 4WD. I was reading up on the install at a couple of places and kept seeing verbage on hooking up to and changing the wiring configuration on the duraspark ignition. My wifes jeep does not have a duraspark. I did this mod to a 69 mustang I built a few years ago and remember pulling the wire harness from a ford pickup. Unfortunately thats all I remember. something in the back of my head blocked by the cobwebs keeps telling me that the harness's were different to the type of distributer I can get and the ignition module. Since i can now justify the duraspark mod i need to get moving on it this weekend finding a harness and all the parts. Do I need to look at 6 cylinder fords for the harness?

If I remember correctly the distributer from a parts place isn't too terribly expensive. The ignition module has me thinking there were better types with some markings or something different to distinguish them and the coil is supposed to be the yellow top I think.
jim

Is Duraspark the wrong way to go??

I'm a bit confused , shouldn't the '81 have come factory with the dura spark ignition ? Did someone convert to an HEI ignition ? Is there a problem with CARB allowing the current ignition ? I don't recall that the last inspection said anything about unoriginal,equiptment installed such as the ignition system . I should think either system , dura spark or HEI shall be fine .

when it was monkeyed with to install the 77 engine it had the prestolite ignition system installed. look up a 77 distributor on autozone. that's what I have

If I go HEI where do I pull the parts from. Or what year and model do I order new parts for
Just read terry masons TFI upgrade. Looks like a good way to go for now after I get a distributer that works.
Jim

Last edited:
Assuming your distributor is the small cap ( troublesome ) , it will need the upgrade . Right now , I am at the mercy of what postings suggest the HEI conversion distributor from whichever make as I cannot remember ( so long ago ) which engine did the distributor for best. It may have been six cylinder Chevy as posts suggest so we will have to go with that . But the bottom line is , yes , the existing small cap distributor will have to be upgraded as the small caps worked s decent with breaker points ( less energy ) but terrible with electronic ignition ( more energy ) . The upgrade cap ( adapter & large cap ) were common on stock 302 & 351 CID in the day so that is what will be needed just to get up to par . I will say I like the TFI upgrade as it is a " direct bolt-on " so to speak and virtually no modification necessary. The TFI coil makes more energy and the cap & adapter will benefit from increased voltage ( hotter spark ) . If this kit is available for less than the price of a replacement/compatible HEI distributor , that's the way to go. But reading the post again , will the kit work for your distributor as it mentioned '78 and up ? Yes , I see why you seek a new distributor.

Ok , I hit all 4 parts stores in town and one junk yard. I have a new Dura spark Distributor for the 81 258, wires, coil, cap rotor, and ignition module for a ford I6 300 and the piece between the dizzy and cap is on order. All new. And one adapter harness from a ford I6 to hook it all up. Still missing one plug to the ignition module. The one that comes from inside the cab. might have to hard wire that in. Junk yard wanted 25 bucks for one.
Jim

Read the search again and the TEAM RUSH post and it seams if a distributor from a '79 258 will work , according to TEAM RUSH . The clincher is no aftermarket ( even quality ) supports the presto lite distributor , as posted . It also mentioned that a six cylinder HEI distributor from salvage will work but the post confused me as written saying to change distributor gear and followed by saying will work from salvage. Without parts numbers , we can only compare and test fit. That upsets me as it is 2013 and finding these in salvage is next to impossible up here as I did back in the '80s & '90s , but that's everywhere now. Starting to feel your pain and agreeing that a QUALITY distributor replacement is the way to go $$.

Ok , I hit all 4 parts stores in town and one junk yard. I have a new Dura spark Distributor for the 81 258, wires, coil, cap rotor, and ignition module for a ford I6 300 and the piece between the dizzy and cap is on order. All new. And one adapter harness from a ford I6 to hook it all up. Still missing one plug to the ignition module. The one that comes from inside the cab. might have to hard wire that in. Junk yard wanted 25 bucks for one.
Jim

wow , thank goodness your a ford guy ! I speak ford but have not owned one since I got my license , 1970 ltd 390 . Closest since was the '78 jeep 360. What a world , your trying to complete a project and they have to hit you with the small parts charge. Wiring harness at salvage is expensive. But happy you got a system you can build on temporary until you find the upgrade distributor . Hoping though that this set up will work so well that it may be a keeper !
better spark , better performance , BETTER EMISSIONS ! PASS !!!!!!

I used to have a folder full of schematics on the ford ignition system. I had the exact mod, except 8 cyl for the 69 mustang. little bit of wiring and it was all ready to go. got rid of it all with the car 5 years ago. that would have come in handy today. Just have to figure out where the two wire plug to the module comes from figure out what that is on the jeep and then there is a two wire pig tail coming off the 4 wire ignition module and see if the wires are something the jeep has the equivalent.
Jim

Just saw an EBAY NEW distributor for $85 and the 4WD distributor for $99 . Hope they are NOT the dreaded imports posted by TEAM RUSH. But right now it is best to go with your plan to install FORD parts that work. I am in agreeance. Sorry about the lost file, that hurts. Question: does the newly acquired distributor have the two wire plug that typical motorcraft distributors have ? I was thinking it was supposed to work with a dura spark module. Is the four wire dura spark plug still used with the jeep wiring harness ? Forgot to ask from day one , is the jeep still running off a computer ? I assumed so with regards to visual inspection on SMOG test. Am I not understanding the problem , don't want to upset worse as this is down to the wire. Want to be sure I am on the same page as you .

OK the pigtail is for a tach hook up. LOL still looking for the tach wires from my first couple of posts. The wires from the modules two wier plug are: the white wire to the coil start bypass circuit. On A mustang that should be located on the starter solenoid, I terminal.

The Red Wire to hook to the ignition switch coil 12V wire before the ballast resistor.

My chiltons does not have these wires. It does not show any Ignition switch stuff. I should be able to pull these wires from the factory wires going to the factory ignition module. You still got that diagram you used handy Greg?
Jim

Ok I was not looking in the right place. My new red wire goes to the red wire from the jeeps plug from the ignition module. my new white wire goes to the jeeps ignition module plug to the white wire that some where changes to lt blue and eventually goes to the starter solenoid. a green wire from the jeeps module plug to a green wire on my new coil connector. That looks to be the winning combo for today. Too bad when I did my engine bay wiring harness clean up I used a whole roll of electrical tape so nothing could go wrong. LOL Undoing the first thing I did to it.
Jim

OK the pigtail is for a tach hook up. LOL still looking for the tach wires from my first couple of posts. The wires from the modules two wier plug are: the white wire to the coil start bypass circuit. On A mustang that should be located on the starter solenoid, I terminal.

The Red Wire to hook to the ignition switch coil 12V wire before the ballast resistor.

My chiltons does not have these wires. It does not show any Ignition switch stuff. I should be able to pull these wires from the factory wires going to the factory ignition module. You still got that diagram you used handy Greg?
Jim

Ok , the two wire red and white on my 1980 CJ diagram goes to a disconnect plug and red becomes red w/ tracer and white becomes light blue. The light blue goes to starter relay , and red w/tracer also , opposite of each other on small prongs. It also goes to bulkhead connector , but having hard time tracing it . Print not the best . Hope this does it ? Let me know . Greg

Ok I was not looking in the right place. My new red wire goes to the red wire from the jeeps plug from the ignition module. my new white wire goes to the jeeps ignition module plug to the white wire that some where changes to lt blue and eventually goes to the starter solenoid. a green wire from the jeeps module plug to a green wire on my new coil connector. That looks to be the winning combo for today. Too bad when I did my engine bay wiring harness clean up I used a whole roll of electrical tape so nothing could go wrong. LOL Undoing the first thing I did to it.
Jim

I think so far the diagram and the jeep agree , it seems you must be double sure with AMC.
Pat least FORD was more consistent , I think . AMC scrounged GM and FORD parts bins , maybe even MOPAR , not sure. I think basically , correct me if I am wrong , the distributor you just picked up SHOULD wire the same , am I right ? The diagram shows a four wire plug for distributor , hope the couplings are the same or will Jim have to cut and splice ? I like to do that to wiring harness too for the same reasons , would like to get my hands on the same stuff FORD use on its harnesses. Friction tape but not sticky on the outside. Jim , hope you will be ok , but let me know if I can be of help somehow. Lately , I feel that you have expanded your vocabulary and are speaking jeep QUITE well ! Your FORD background makes you a natural so knowing that must really come in handy ! Trust me , no matter what travesties have been encountered , your moving right along . You the man Jim. Pretty soon you'll be saying , CARB and SMOG , eat my dust ! If you can get the keys from the misses. God bless her patience , not a lot of women will go for this . She obviously has a mission : she wants to drive THAT jeep ! A so she shall .

Oh Forgot to answer some of the questions. I think one of many reasons the engine bay wire harness was such a mess is they spliced in the old 77 style wiring harness to get all the ignition stuff to 77. So none of the plugs will work. that's why I got the ford harness. The computer, if there was one was removed also. I think it will be time to pay the piper when the new computer needs to be wired in. Hopefully I can find the wires I need behind the dash.

What did I say to make you think she is being patient. She drove me to the parts stores today. Yes the stock 81 distributor has the right plug for the ford harness. I have the motor set to TDC and would be able to install the new one but I would be guessing to the number one plug wire because I don't have all the dist cap parts. I guess If I just lined up the rotor close to where the stock one is pointing and aimed the Vacuum advance pointing forward I will be ok. But if that's not how the cap lines up when its all together I'll have to re do it. Anyone got a pic of a TFI distributor installed so I can see which way to point it. Maybe terry masons post has one. I'll check after lunch

I can understand that adapting harness for the ignition was necessary , hoping it was at least done neatly and not irreversible. I think only I think that way if I modify. If I remember right , the ignition system was adapted out of parts to get it running ? Well , I'll give credit as sometime necessity is the mother of invention . YES , I meant to ask of the computer as now you will run fuel injection and there MUST be a module to run the injectors but I should think it will probably be underhood and not too myriad in wiring since it should only need power , plug into injectors , TPS (?) O2 , a MAP sensor (?) , but I can't see it being too involved with the current jeep wiring harness , but this will be confirmed when Howell finally decides to clear you with homeland security and local FBI (for crying out loud , A LOUSY THROTTLE BODY !!! ) and ship , will see real world as per your application how it will install . Until then , I will look at the bookmarked version of Howell . Hope too that these pieces of the CJ puzzle work to your expectations . Greg

What did I say to make you think she is being patient. She drove me to the parts stores today. Yes the stock 81 distributor has the right plug for the ford harness. I have the motor set to TDC and would be able to install the new one but I would be guessing to the number one plug wire because I don't have all the dist cap parts. I guess If I just lined up the rotor close to where the stock one is pointing and aimed the Vacuum advance pointing forward I will be ok. But if that's not how the cap lines up when its all together I'll have to re do it. Anyone got a pic of a TFI distributor installed so I can see which way to point it. Maybe terry masons post has one. I'll check after lunch

well , I just figured she has not gotten violent yet over the anguish of looking at a jeep that technically cannot be driven . I don't know why they get so violent , when something goes wrong , I run to my room , throw myself on the bed face down and cry. NOT ! I throw wrenches once in a while , but I try to keep spinning them , makes it easier to find later.
Sorry to interrupt lunch , keep forgetting I'm 3 hours ahead in New York , sorry .
If the distributor was just pulled out (the old one) , forgetting FORDS in my old age , should the oil pump shaft line up the distributor if undisturbed ? If shaft is slotted , I think all you have to do is point the rotor in the right direction and keep trying to match the teeth on cam until oil pump and distributor tang find each other ? Of course you will check this when the cap and coil arrive .
Just kidding about the jokes , I would really like for the misses to enjoy her jeep from sunrise to sunset . If you hide the picnic basket , she'll have to come home for lunch , but you'll have to cook dinner as dusk is past dinner time. Greg

Had a peek at the picture from Terry Mason's post with the cap off but I remembered that the upgrade does not require distributor removal so the rotor in his picture ( facing 12:30 ? ) probably is not TDC . Not to worry , I know you'll get it right . Your a FORD guy and jeeps speak FORD too . Greg

Back