Has anyone tried the PML deep pan for the Jeep 42rle?

UnlimitedLJ05

I orderd a PML pan for my 2005 LJ to see if it helps with keepiing the temps down has anyone had any experience with them? I have a temp scan guage I have been checking my factory pan with and it seems to run around 195 to 200 when temps are 90F are above out. Looking to get the temp around 175 or so.

Have you tried an external transmission cooler?

A friend of mine has a cool setup to measure trans temp in his Jeep. Get two temp sending units, one for input and one for output. Install a gauge inside the Jeep with a switch in order to switch the gauge reading from trans fluid input to trans fluid output.

The benefit of a larger pan is to help keep from starving the transmission for fluid when the Jeep is at steep angles.

A pan with fins will help cooling more than one without.

Well the pan is aluminum which I love vs the stamp steel stock one that holds a little more heat. I'm not sure how much more it will help but, I'm thinking with almost two quarts more capacity along with fins on the bottom of the pan should help get alot of heat out especially since I took my transmission cover off and there's more fluid to absorb heat along with my 4.56 gears that keep the transmission from shifting all the time. I will report back with the different temps. So far I run 195 to 200F in the hot afternoons and 175 to 180 in the mornings. I know sitting in traffic or going up and down hills I easily hit 210 to 215. If it doesn't run any cooler I will def look at a cooler. I have been eyeing the Derale one but, might have to wait on that have a little kid on the way.

Last edited:
Transmission runs about 15 degrees cooler with 100 degree temps. I also have noticed that the pan stays pretty warm for a good few hours vs the stock one that only stayed real warm for about 20 minutes. My before temp was 195 to 200 and I now run 175 to 180. In the mornings when I was about 175 with the stock I hang about 160 to 165. holds about a quart and a half more. Plus has a drain plug which is awesome. The transmission should last a lot longer.

Attachments

• 16309473_large.jpg
    16309473_large.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 16309474_large.jpg
    16309474_large.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 441

Yes but, to drain the pan by using the drain bolt you will have to remove the cross plate. I don't run mine anymore only because I don't offroad plus it allows more air to pass over it with the cross plate not being there.

I orderd a PML pan for my 2005 LJ to see if it helps with keepiing the temps down has anyone had any experience with them? I have a temp scan guage I have been checking my factory pan with and it seems to run around 195 to 200 when temps are 90F are above out. Looking to get the temp around 175 or so.
I installed a PML deep pan on my 2011 wrangler sport and also a Mishimoto trans cooler on the 42rle trans With 134000 miles so far so good

Back