drive shaft angle off

josue estrada

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my angles here. I put in the 8.8 rear end and I am having the rear end at 4-5 degrees. the drive shaft is hanging at 31 degrees. Its horrible. I know there are a few ways to approach this but I wanted to hear your feedback first.

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0068.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 33
I think you need a longer driveshaft too, your slip yoke (I think that's what you call it) is half way out the trans.

1" transfer case drop and axle shims to bring the pinion up a little. Your setup is correct in that the slipyoke and pinion are parallel, just need to lower the angle of the slipyoke with the t-case drop and raise the angle of the pinion.

How does the driveshaft look when you flex the rear axle all the way out? Does it separate?

What are your long term plans - will you be lifting any more? If so then you may want to go with a CV driveshaft and a slip yoke eliminator. In that case you may just want to re-weld the spring perches.

I personally don't like the transfer case drop - it defeats the purpose of a lift by limiting your ground clearance. It does work great for a temporary fix though.

I wont be lifting any higher. Its a 4 inch suspension lift. I was thinking of shims. The slip yoke still has about two inches inside the transfer case. I didnt really want to lower the transfer case either because like u said im losing clearance here. The lift came with shims but they didnt do much seeing as they were meant for the dana 35 and not for the 8.8 .

Did the 4" kit come with a TC drop? Most do as it's required when not using a SYE/CV setup. A TC drop does not defeat the purpose of a lift. Sure it decreases your breakover angle a little, but not back to the point of pre-lift. You added 4" under the belly in spring height, and likely another 3" by increasing the tire height. That's 7". Decreasing that number by 1" isn't going to negate anything but your pride.

I'll agree TC drops are unsightly and not the best option but they are a necessary evil until one is ready to buck up for a SYE and CV driveshaft.

The lift did come with a transfer case drop kit. it is already on there. And like i mentioned it came with shims too.the shims say 2.5 on them. What do you guys think?

How much of a t-case drop do you have. You will need to tilt the pinion up. Usually 1 degree per inch of lift is the rule of thumb but not 100% always right. Other options is a sye and or possibly a 1" engine lift. Installing a SYE will get you a longer drivshaft, and that will decrease your steep angle.

I think I'm going to get some shims. Trying to keep it at a budget for now. Any concerns with going with shims to fix this?

I'm not sure on the size of shims to get seeing as I'm running the 8.8 now and where should I get them from

Back