CJ7 ignition cylinder

SKCrosby91

Ok, so I've determined I need to replace the ignition cylinder in the CJ7. This is as far as I've gotten, and not the stupid cylinder won't come out. Removed all the screws under the blinker switch thing, and it still won't come out. Am I missing something????

Attachments

• image-168558996.jpg
    image-168558996.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 320

I havnt changed one but I did take one out to put the ignition in the dash instead of the column. If I remember right, their was a rod or a lever down by the cylinder that I moved,, cant remember if I moved it with my hand or a screwdriver but it came right out. Hope that helps.

Once you remove the one Philips screw that holds the ignition tumbler in place, install the key in the tumbler and try to turn it to release the locking cam/ button and the tumbler will just pull out.

I had to use a punch and hammer and break the old one out. It was wedged in wrong and corroded in place. All's good now, just need to put the column back together. Fun!!

Cool, I'm glad the o'l hammer and punch still has the ability to fix things up. :)

Cool, I'm glad the o'l hammer and punch still has the ability to fix things up. :)

It was a b***h to get out. I just got tired of doin it the "right" way so I got a hammer and punch and broke it out lol. Now to reassemble the little *******. This is gonna be fun...

Back