Remove ABS?

joeylead

Ok so here is the deal, i have a 97 TJ, stock axles for now, 4" lift and 35" tires. I am going to begin replacing the brake lines tonight. I was wondering if removing the abs stuff be just cutting it out of the ststem would improve braking performmance. Well compared to now, where i currently have the ABS fuses pulled. I have a bad wheel speed sensor fo it was acting erratic. I also looked into it, it is legal to do this and will not affect a state inspection. I already have 2 sets of brake line sets (long story) one for ABS and one without. I guess im just tryinh to decide which to put on.

So is the only problem that you have a bad wheel sensor? I can't say if ABS helps or hurts performance, but it be easier to just replace the wheel sensor. It looks like the sensor is about $100

RockAuto Parts Catalog

If you plan on replacing the axles then that's probably a different story.

Actually i am planning a rear axle swap in the spring. It will be an 8.8 if i cant get my hands on a TJ D44. And that would mean that the ABS would be non-op if i go the 8.8 route. But if it has no effect on braking to keep it as it is now (hoked up, but fuses pulled) id probably be inclined to leave it in. Part of that is that i dont know whch output on the proportioning valve is front or rear. although i would guess that the front output is for the front and vice versa.

97-2003 TJ's had front ABS units only. Since the 97-03 came with rear drums, changing your rear axle will not effect the ABS performance.

Thanks that was good info. I decided to keep the abs and will just fix the speed sensors in the spring. I am.using the classic tube kit. The lines are fitting very nicely. Expensive, but worth it.

Just make sure the ABS is non active if ypu wheel... I have seen ABS start to work at the worst possible times when slipping on mud and rocks.

Back