Front Axle Disconnect

NeilF

The vacuum connection for my front axle disconnect ('88 Wrangler) has rusted off. Where's the best place to find replacement parts? Also, I've seen suggestions for eliminating the vacuum disconnect and changing to a manual disconnect, what is the general opinion out there? Are there other options? I don't go offroad (sorry) but use the 4 wheel drive for winter conditions.[addsig]

DON'T GO OFFROAD????!!!!!! :-O :-O gotta keep in mind... a Jeep Wrangler is not a street vehicle that MAY be taken off road... It is an ATV that may be registered for street use. Jeeps are known to rebel against their owners if they are not taken on their scheduled fun... Legend has it that some offroad runs can turn rusted useless parts into tough rugged parts.

Enough of the hardcore Jeep in me... yeah.. a manual disconnect is a good idea... rather than relying on several mechanical and pneumatic parts, you can rely on your own control and one cable... otherwise... a junk yard should have the entire assembly pretty cheap, and its really easy to replace, just 4 small bolts, pull off, replace, plug in, and go to the nearest mud hole to test it ;-) [addsig]

OH For shame!
I don't go offroad (sorry) but use the 4 wheel drive for winter conditions.
Please let your jeep play outside some, It will love you in return and once you do you will be hooked for life. Tug[addsig]

go to an auto wrecker and find a good one in a cherokee. They are the same part as a yj. My friend just got one for $25cdn. Pretty easy to put in. :) [addsig]

I got stuck bad twice because the front end would not engage....I got a new cable operated system now...now all i need is a E-locker :evil: [addsig]

Just pick one up at a junkyard or search www.car-parts.com :-D Don't waste your time with the $200 cable disconnect for your type of use.

I'd sell you my trail spare, but I loaned it to a buddy :roll: [addsig]

Back