76 CJ5 project.....could use some advice.

OK, got it running. Turns out my buddy Jake had an ignition switch in the garage so I put that on and then found out I had one wire wrong on the solenoid. Once ibswapped that wire over, she started right up and the alternator is charging at 12.88 at the battery. The temp have reads 210 when warmed up, too. (Mech temp, not electrical. Oil is mechanical also and reads 25 at idle and 55 when you up the rpms)

Thanks Jason, I can't wait to run a new cable harness. So when I get back home I will sending my frame to be stripped, ecoated, and powder coated. I have been thinking about my transmission and axle options. Whether I want to look and find a 4 speed or rebuild my 3 speed. Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, I am looking for Dana 44s. But not sure if it's worth it.

I'm picking up my engine tomorrow. Pics should be posted. A friend also is wanting to sell a 4.0 to me with the 5 speed for $350. He is wanting to convert to a Chevy 350. The engine is solid but the transmission needs some work. I forgot to ask how many miles it has. So what do you guys think?

I'm picking up my engine tomorrow. Pics should be posted. A friend also is wanting to sell a 4.0 to me with the 5 speed for $350. He is wanting to convert to a Chevy 350. The engine is solid but the transmission needs some work. I forgot to ask how many miles it has. So what do you guys think?
An AX15 good used usually goes for more than that so ordinarily I would say grab it , especially with a 4.0 thrown in . I realize your in the middle of a resto and cash is tight so it's a tough decision. If your considering moving up to a 5-speed and the rebuild kit isn't too expensive , I like the idea of it. Hey , since the 4.0 runs well , you can flip it for what it'll cost for the rebuild kit and make the money back . Just a thought. Glad your engine is complete and will soon be back between the frame rails !

Just the rear end left.

Attachments

• image-1406532080.jpg
    image-1406532080.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 86
  • image-429945480.jpg
    image-429945480.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 96

IMG_1122[1].JPGI posted another picture of the complete engine before paint. Its painted the ole AMC blue color. I'll try to remember to take pics of it later. Also, there should be a picture of a blackhawk. IMG_1164[1].JPG

Back