suggestions for TJ soft top

carlojeep

It's time to replace the soft top on my 04 TJ. I’ve been looking online to figure out the best replacement but there so many options just like on this page - http://4wheelonline.com/Jeep/Jeep_Tops.58305. What brand and style can you suggest? I know Bestop is a popular choice, but what other brands that come close to the quality of Bestop? Smittybilt is very inexpensive but have no idea about the quality of their soft tops.

Soft top replacement is big business, or there wouldn't be that many manufactures out there...
I have replaced my front windows several times due to zipper problems and one thief who was too stupid to try the doors first before cutting the window.
I have had chitty (smitty) brand last a year at most and die a horrible death because the zipper quality just isn't there. Best top replacement windows lasted the longest and would still be on both windows if it wasn't for stupid people...(see before mentioned thief). I still have the passenger window best top replacement window, its been on the for over 5 years now and still works great. I got lucky and received a club brothers never used full soft top for 100$ so I cant tell you personally how the full replace a top are but out here in the southwest no one buys chitty, pavement failure, or rampage. two are running the RR trek top, but most go with best top for fit and quality. The Arizona desert is brutal on them and they last. And with over 3000 active members that's a good recommendation.

I bought a pavement ends top for my first replacement it was only on during the hotter months (late April - late September)... it only lasted 3 years before I had to resew the seams. After 2 years of fixing that top I decided to replace it and bought a Bestop sailcloth replace a top. The quality of the Bestop is night and day.

You probably have a sailcloth top on your Jeep now so I'd suggest the Bestop sailcloth...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Jeepz

Sailcloth material is the most durable soft tops for jeeps. Regardless of where you buy them, if you want the OEM fit and durability, Bestop is the manufacturer of the Jeep soft tops.

i have a softopper top. its really nice. if the neighbors garage hadn't burned down and melted the driver's side window and scorched the top, it would still look like the day i bought it. i think its been on since last summer but i had to take it off for winter since the fire made it shrink up and not seal out rain water anymore.

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I will give Bestop a try. I might get the Sailcloth Replace-a-Top or Trektop NX. :beer:

I got a quadratec replacement top for my 06 tj. Not the highest quality one going, but for where I live(sc) it isn't a bad option. Its queit enough and the stitching seems to be OK. Bestop is the surest way to go to know you get a good one. To each their own. Good luck!

I bought the cheapest Bestop brand replace-a-top I could find (I don't remember if it's sailcloth or not), and hate it. My stock top had nice thick windows that would lay flat, but the new top has thin wavy windows that never smoothed out (it's been years now).

Here are photos from 2011. The windows look the same today

8201d1303238184-wavy-windows-forumrunner_20110419_143634.png

8202d1303238212-wavy-windows-forumrunner_20110419_143655.png

that sucks /\
i would hate having windows like that

I ended up just running the new Bestop Replace-a-top fabric, and using my old factory windows. I'd rather look at scratches than waves.

I went all through this last year before i got a top for my jeep. I ended up getting a mint condition factory top. A big difference between the factory and other brands is the use of door surrounds. Personally i like the factory door surrounds. If you dont mind little bars where the windows velcrow around, then the other cheaper tops might be ok. If i could do it over again, i would have gotten the bestop nx top to get the sunrider option. But, look out for JC whitney 20% off coupons, you can use them on the tops and then they are a good buy.

Use your current hardware and just get a Bestop Replace-a-Top Clemson is a "authorized" Bestop Retailer, Offers Warranty Service, Free Shipping and can even install the top on your Jeep if you are local. Bestop produces the OEM tops for Jeeps. I've heard softtoppers are good but why even bother when you can get OEM.

Back