1999 TJ electrical issues

TLCJ5

Driving in to work this AM my volt meter suddenly pegged to 19+V. All other guages were good. Engine was running fine,lights on. My first thought was that the voltage regulator in the alternator took a dump. I figured if the alternator was putting out high voltage I might be able to draw it down little by turning on all the heater fan,fog lights,rear defroster etc...about a block later the voltmeter went back to normal. I was now just down the street from work so I turned the extra electrical stuff off & parked in my normal spot. Shut the engine off & tried to restart.....nothing. No dome lighth no electrical at all. Popped the hood...conections all felt tight. At break I'll go out & check what I can,but does anybody here have any ideas? By the way...the battery is about 2 weeks old.(Farm & Fleet AGM)
Thanks!!

Sounds like you have a bad connection to the battery, i know from experience that without a connection to the battery your voltage gauge will peg to 19V, it is also not good for the computer as it can fry it. Hope this helps

Thanks for the response!! The bad connection was my first guess too...although on first glance/try the battery terms are tight I'm thinking maybe a bad cable.
I'll pursue along those lines.

Removed,cleaned & retightened the battery cable connections...amazing how much corrosion after just a few weeks...all is well now...I'll coat the connectors with "no ox" to keep 'em clean.

Back