New hd shaft is too short

hoobness

...and I scratched it trying to get it in there, oh yea and its still attached to the top, nice and tight with blue threadlock. SON OF A B!+$#!!

How mad am i right now. Worst is that I ordered it from quadratec, so if I decide to return it and they decide to take it I'm another week out.
Had it all back together loosely and was trying to get the shaft on and well its an inch to an inch and a half too short. It just hangs there resting on the axle.
Assuming they shipped the correct part, Only thing I can think of is .. the steering box is the one with the 76 on it, which is not the original box. Never thought of them being different sizes.
I guess it makes sense. OEM shaft has the coupler on the end that allows an inch or so of forward backward movement allowing the shaft to fit be long enough with the smaller steering box.
I don't know. This just happened an hour ago and then it got dark. But it clearly is too short.

If anyone has an idea of getting making this work I'd greatly appreciate it as I'm stuck and the only option I can think of is to buy the OEM steering box for another 150.

The 1500 I talked the po down is being spent throwing parts at this f-ing thing.

I need 6 beers. Now.

I think they sent you too short of a shaft. Man you are having bad luck with this thing. Hate to hear that, because these jeeps are a lot of fun and when someone gets one that needs a lot of little frustrating things replaced it can become discouraging to them and turn them away from jeeps in the future. You shouldn't have any trouble with them taking the shaft back and sending you the correct size. Good luck

All you can do is laugh

IMG_20131115_120909_910.jpg

Have you compared that 76 box to the OEM box?

I'd say they sent you the wrong steering shaft if it's shorter than your original.

That is def too short, not even close. I have had the 76 box on two jeeps and didn't change shafts, my brother used the 76 box as well and used the stock shaft too. To make sure you get the correct shaft when you return it, I would measure the distance from the box splines to the column splines and give it to them.

I got it in. I ended up pulling it out and slamming it into the floor hoping it would shorten. And it did. So I lubed it up and kept extending it and shortening it and eventually it expanded to almost 37", when at the beginning it was barely 33".

It needed to be lubed and worked a little and I needed more patience. I've since taken it for a ride, put a few miles on it and found more issues to discuss lol..

Thanks again for the info and I hope this thread helps another someday.

Back