cj with lift springs unstable on road

hoobness

So I've finally been able to drive this thing. The steering is much better than it was when I bought it, I've replaced the steering shaft with one with u joints top and bottom, replaced all the steering box mount bolts with new grade 8s, the front shackles and bushings are OEM replacements, one ties rod end was replaced. Its a lot better, but still has issues.

Quickly I noticed when I was bleeding the PS pump (front off the ground) the whole front end shifts side to side as I'm trurning lock to lock.
It has lift(arched) springs I believe. Rather an SOA, but maybe later.
The way the factory designed steering box setup is mounted is part of the problem. I'm sure its fine without those springs and stock tires but man its a wobbly old thing.
Today I'll think about adding a steering stabilizer to start. I'd like to reinforce the whole steering box mount. Do they make something that does this? I can dab one if I need to but in 35 years of wheeling this product has to be out there. I can't be the 1st to notice this. Anyway, that's the new problem I have.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Steering box brace: Rugged Ridge Part 18021.02 - Heavy-Duty Steering Box Brace

Best to replace the flimsy steering box bracket with something better: Rugged Ridge Part 18003.10 - HD Steering Box Mount

You may want to install a panhard bar (track bar) on the front axle similar to what is found in a YJ. This will prevent all side-to-side movement of the front axle.

Another more involved option is a shackle reversal. This allows the front axle to track behind solid spring hangers instead of shackles, minimizing the side to side movement of the front axle.

Sweet thanks man. I like the idea of a pan hard bar up front and the shackle reverse is a great idea. Just so happen to be selling a miller 135 amp mig for a friend who says I can use it for whatever and sell it when I'm done. Now would be a good time for the shackle reverse right, and a panhard. Well see. Thanks man

Research the shackle reversal before you jump right in. It's generally not as capable offroad as the axle travels backward when encountering an obstacle, unloading the front tires. The axle travels forward and up when the shackles are in the front.

It's easy to slap a shackle reversal on incorrectly, many do by simply hanging the rear shackle hangers below the frame. The proper method is to cut and sleeve the frame to attach the shackles higher, keeping proper pinion and caster angles.

I've since fixed the crazy steering. That or I've gotten used to it. I aligned it with a tape measure, loosened the shackles a hair, greased the springs, and tightened the steering box. It rides well for what it is. No more complaints. Thanks everyone for chiming in, I hope to aid someone with other problems someday.

I would put a brace on it anyway, I know what you are talking about with the front end swaying side to side and you turn the wheel lock to lock and a brace will solve it. I have experienced this, It will come back. What you have done with the shackles, springs, box are good and fixed it, but it will come back. Brace it, that's all you need.

Back