What gears should I go?

Jc Miller

I have. 94 jeep wrangler 4 banger 5 speed 6 inch lift I'm running 33inch tires now but wanting to up grade to 35's what would be a good gear ratio to go good for off road and on road? I'm pretty sure it's stock with 4.10.. 4.88? Or 4.56 and will them fit I my stock

It really depends on the axles you have and what kind of wheeling you do. The 4:10s would be good for me but I have a v8.

I have stock 4 banger and stock axle witch I think is Dana 30 and 35 I think and just wheeling on the weekend at our off road park

First off, run over to "this" page and find out what axles you have.
If you have the notorious Dana 35, spend a few moments on line looking it up. See if you want to throw money at it beefing it up or just replacing it. With the 2.5L and wanting 35's I would go deep as you can 4:88's.

Your stock ratio is 4.10 and with the stock axles 4.88 is as low as you can go. I run 35" tires with my 2.5L 5spd and went with 5.38. It's perfect for me, but I had to swap in a pair of d44 axles to go that low. Great offroad and still spins happily down the interstate at 70mph. Pulls hills well too.

Alright thanks a lot guys I be leave I'm going to try and find some D44 I plan in putting a bigger motor sometime so it wouldn't hurt to put bigger axles

I run a Wagoneer front d44 and Isuzu Rodeo rear d44 in my YJ, matching 6-lug wheel patterns and 4whl disc brakes.

Really? you swapped in a TTB ford D35 front axle?

Back on topic

Here is my suggestion, if your looking to only replace the rear and are looking for a junk yard axle, 87-89 XJ and 98+ TJ's are what you want to look for. they will have the propper bolt pattern and WMS-WMS to match your D30 front. This will solve your rear axle issues, but a YJ D30 when wheeled does will not live long with 35" tires and a locker.

Waggy D44's front and rear (assuming you go no larger than 37"-38" tires) will fit the bill. While they can be found relatively cheap in stock form, you will spend a good chunk of change to get them installed. At a minimum they will need to be re-geared since all waggy's had miserable gearing and new wheels since they are 6 lug. With that said, I would highly recommend looking for a set of build D44 axles. There is not a premium market for them so at resale (built) they tend to depreciate greater than say a D60/14 bolt combo.

Back