Bigger tires vs. Gear ratio

nanaeight

Alright, I need some advise. As sad as it is for me, I'm nearly completion of my Jeep in terms of looks. The last thing I've got on the list is tires. Right now, it's just got the stock 29"er's on and I want something bigger. I'm goin' all-terrain. First question: How big of a tire can I get without changing the current gear ratio settings? I've seen some of the posts concerning this topic and it sounds likes a huge pain in the ass, not to mention expensive. Second question: With tire size and gear ratio in consideration, how high a lift should I get? Do I even need one at all? I'm not planning on climbing any rocks, but I'd like to have something to get me through the trails and rivers. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.
image-missing.png

[addsig]

What type of Jeep do you have?
[addsig]

97' Tj huh? with any type of trail riding it is best to have 31's or 33's. 33's would be best if you don't want to go real big, they will ensure you safety in 4-wheelin' as long as you don't go too extreme (rock crawling). to fit 33's under a tj you need a minimum of a 4" lift, if you want to go higher I suggest a body lift because after you get to a 6" suspension you need slip-yoke eliminators because of the steep drive shaft. the gear ratio isn't that big of a deal...go to 4wheelparts.com and in the tire section it has a full chart to show you gear ratios for all the different sets of tires. pick which tire you want and on the pricing page it will have a link to the chart...hope it helps
[addsig]

On my 97 I'm running 31x12.50x15 swamper boggers with no problems at all..... and it's only a 4 banger for now. I am planning a 4" lift and going to 33's sometime in the near future, and going to a 4.88 gear ratio front and rear.
[addsig]

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'll probaby go with the 31's for now too. If I spend another couple hundred my wife's gonna divorce me (and probably take my Jeep and dogs with her)!
[addsig]

Back