1991 jeep wrangler won't run

dcrowe

Hi I have a jeep wrangler YJ 2.5L. It has issues running ive replaced the battery cables,spark plugs an wires,an the alternator. An it still dies after running for a couple mins. For the idle issue I cleaned out the IAC ( idle air control) an I cleaned out the throttle body it helped a little but the main problem is it keeps shutting off I think its the battery but I plan to replace it anyway so any other ideas will be apreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the Z. I moved this to the Wrangler forum, and deleted your duplicate post in the introductions forum.

Does the 'check engine' light come on? Can you drive it up until the point it dies? A clogged catalytic converter will cause it to die after the media in the converter heats up, expanding to shut off the exhaust flow.

Yes I can drive it for a little while an then it shuts off the check engine light is on but its been on sense ive owned it. But that sounds right am I able to just cut it off?

As long as you don't have vehicle emissions where you live. I live in MD and you can tag a vehicle over 20 years old as historic and be exempt from emissions.

well I live in ohio so im not sure. but I put a starter on it to, it was also bad. but im thinking its not the Cadillac converter cause that wouldn't cause it to click like the battery is dead would it?

fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, etc. how about taking it to autozone or somewhere like that and pulling codes

No, ohio doesn't have emissions test anymore.

Clogged/obstructed fuel filter. IF this is the case you may want to drop the fuel tank and rinse/clean it out to remove any possible sediment.

Bacon

A post today from dcrowe ( which will probably be merged into this thread ?) states that the condition has not improved , but worsened ? If I read the post right , even jumping the battery and I guess with a strong battery , now the jeep won't crank much less start . Hoping dcrowe will reply to THIS thread to clarify the present condition . Sounds like voltage/continuity will have to be traced from battery to ignition switch and to starter solenoid trigger wire just to verify if the starter circuit is working and some fuses & relays (again) along the way . Once it starts again , was thinking fuel pressure check ( after filter change and maybe blow the lines out ) and check for blocked exhaust for good measure . Also , intake vacuum check. Can't hurt to pump a little fuel from the tank into a glass jar with the filter disconnected and maybe disconnect the line at the fuel rail and at the pump/filter to clear that too . If that is not clear , what of the injectors !

Last edited:

well I live in ohio so im not sure. but I put a starter on it to, it was also bad. but im thinking its not the Cadillac converter cause that wouldn't cause it to click like the battery is dead would it?

Where in Ohio?

Yes I can drive it for a little while an then it shuts off the check engine light is on but its been on sense ive owned it. But that sounds right am I able to just cut it off?

Did you get the codes read? Free at Adv, Az or Oreillys by borrowing their reader? Post up the findings. Also clean your battery terminals. And the opposite ends of the power and grounds. A loose battery connection will do this.
A failing CPK will do his as well without warning or codes.

Hi I have a jeep wrangler YJ 2.5L. It has issues running ive replaced the battery cables,spark plugs an wires,an the alternator. An it still dies after running for a couple mins. For the idle issue I cleaned out the IAC ( idle air control) an I cleaned out the throttle body it helped a little but the main problem is it keeps shutting off I think its the battery but I plan to replace it anyway so any other ideas will be apreciated. Thanks!

I had a problem with my 95 wrangler with chech engine light on. I as you changed alot. I ended up with a computer replacement and all was fixed. Hope it helps. Mike

thank you I will go through the majority of this but will most likely take a while so ill be back on here in a coulple of hours. thanks!!!

Back