Timbern installation in a 97 Jeep TJ

JimL

I have put a snow plow on my Jeep I bought it used and it had a 2 inch lift on it when I bought it.
Any way it sagged after the plow was installed to the point I had trouble steering it.
So I had new coil springs and new shocks installed but I kept the 2 inch lift.
Because I did not want to buy new tires and rims.
I can drive it now and the sag is not as bad but it still dips down.
I am thinking of installing "Timbrens" in it and a site I went on that sell's them said they will work to
further stop the sagging in the front when the plow is installed
Has any body installed these?
I am under the impression I have to remove the coil springs is it that big of a deal?

Thanks for any info I can get.
JimL
sgt128@comcast.net

Hey JimL , thanks for your post on the Timbren bump stops . The short answer , yes , will be a big deal . The long answer , you will have to disassemble all that is required to install coil springs to replace bump stops . That will be everything just short of the front shaft and upper control arms . You would need to do this in order to lower the front axle enough to pull out the coil springs to swap out the bump stops for the Timbren stops . It's unfortunate that you've already had springs installed and would have to repeat for installation of these stops , but that would be the only way . Seems like you'll need them to save on wear and tear of your new coil springs and shocks under the weight of the plow blade and resistance of actually plowing snow which , as you know , sinks the front down to the stops . Sorry about that .

Is the plow installed for a long time? You may want a stiffer rate coil if you want it to last longer.

Maybe try those helper shocks with the springs on the outside?

No I just had the snow plow put on.
The jeep came with a 2 inch lift and after I had the jeep installed it dipped in the front by the time I got it home.
So I took it to a spring shop and he put heavy duty coil springs and shocks on it.
It's better but it still dips some so I just bought the Timbern's for the front and most likely will have that shop install them.
I thing I can install the ones for the rear and will get them later.
Thank You for getting back to me.

Is your lift a budget boost or a regular spring lift? This makes a difference. A BB is just lift bushings on the top of the springs as a spring lift replaced the factory springs. I have a plow setup on my 00 Tundra and put a 3 inch lift on the front end on top of my struts. Doing this made the Truck sit normal when the plow was on and lifted. I thought I was going to have to do the Timbern's but I don't since the 3 inches I added solved my sagging problem. There is a 97 TJ for sale near where I live and it sits normal when the plow is up. That one has a 2 inch spring lift and sits on 30 inch tires. I also have 34 years with plowing and setting up pow trucks.

No it was no budget boost
I had new coil springs put in with shocks.
I did not think of the drop just going back to the normal position that is good to know.
But by adding the Timbren's won't hurt it correct.
It will just keep it up to the 2 inch lift height almost correct?
PS: Because you have a lot of experience with plowing what do you think is better an automatic transmission or a manual one.
My Jeep is a stick and I am planning on changing the trans to another one and that is a stick and I know about the clutch.
But I have a Dodge dually 3500 that has a manual 6 speed trans. and I was worried about putting a plow on it because of this.
IE: The clutch replace that is going to be expensive.
I have driven Tractor Trailers so I know how to not ride a clutch but wear still happens
And thanks for the come back

JimL

I would look at firestone air bags before I look at timbrens. If I remember correctly, the timbrens have a constant rate and may effect driving characteristics on a front axle when un-loaded (harsh ride, hopping around corners.) With a more traditional firestone type airbag, you can inflate them to help support the extra weigh with the plow, but when you are not toting around the plow, you can deflate the air bags and they will not effect the suspension movements.

Thanks For the information.
I have learned a lot by all the info I have received

Thank You
JimL

Like jps4jeep said you are better off with the air bags in the front. An automatic is easier to plow with but I've plowed with a stick and was fine with it. Just have to make sure your clutch is working fine and if it wasn't done in a few yrs think about doing it after but you have to judge that as how it feels to you after the plow season. Place the plow controls on the shifter as it will be easier to raise lower and angle instead of fumbling for the controller and screwing up the angle of raise lower function soyou don't have to go over the same area you just plowed to get the snow that got screwed up.
Good luck with the plow and make lots of money as I sure did when I was plowing snow.

Thanks for the info.
If I get another Jeep which is not happening for a lot time because of (money ) I will go with the air bags.
But I am only going to use this jeep to run around town and plow when it snows

And thanks to everybody for getting back to me.
This is a great site.

Back