1991 jeep wrangler wont start

dcrowe

hi I have a jeep wrangler 1991 YJ 2.5L. ive replaced fuses, starter, alternator, spark plugs an wires the distributer cap an rotor, cleaned out the IAC (idle air control) and I cleaned out the throttle body. ive also replaced the battery cables an I got the battery checked its good. all that was for when I got it started it would die after running for a while. now it wont turn over at all or click like the battery is dead even with the jump box . so I think its electrical but I have no idea where to start looking any help would be awesome im completely stumped.

hi I have a jeep wrangler 1991 YJ 2.5L. ive replaced fuses, starter, alternator, spark plugs an wires the distributer cap an rotor, cleaned out the IAC (idle air control) and I cleaned out the throttle body. ive also replaced the battery cables an I got the battery checked its good. all that was for when I got it started it would die after running for a while. now it wont turn over at all or click like the battery is dead even with the jump box . so I think its electrical but I have no idea where to start looking any help would be awesome im completely stumped.
Please refer to your thread of 11/28/13 in CJYJTJ AND JK , last post by BaconYJ stating possible clogged/ obstructed fuel filter. Your jeep is experiencing starting/rough idle and stalling w/no restart . Further diagnosis should include fuel system pressure check but also confirm system up to injectors is free of contamination . Fuel filter should give clue to fuel condition.

Another thought....

When you turn your key to the ON position, NOT all they way to where it would crank, can you hear the fuel pump engaging pressurizing the system? It is a faint bzzzt sound for 2-3 seconds. If that works then the electrical to that point is ok and possibly the ECM is ok too.

Bacon

Sigh, looks like the first reply didn't take.

So... Check all your cables/wires too and from the battery, starter, etc and make sure they are secure. IF you are getting no clicking/ticking when you try to crank the starter and have tried jumping it your ECM behind your glove box may be bad.

Bacon

You might have gotten a bad alternator from the store. Have it checked

Check the ignition 12v circuit on the ignition switch. Start from there for the no start condition. You might have a bad 12v feed that looses continuity after it gets hot from a poor connection or worn contacts from the switch.

had an issue kinda like that yesterday,drove it ,shut off ,no power to start,tried jumping starter,dead. jumped battery and got it going,but as soon as cables came off it quit. Bad alt? no, just tightened battery cables and good to go. yours might have other issues.

Back